Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Bellarine Set

I spoke up and supported R after the last time Sister and Bone Doctor and Little Jo stayed. Little Jo wet the bed, a nearly brand new bed. We were cross. Of course not with Little Jo, but with Sister for not putting a nappy on her. Ok, Little Jo had not wet a bed for quite some time and I think had anyone insisted she went to the toilet before she went to bed, it would not have happened.

That was mid last year and Sister has not stayed here since. Maybe the timing wasn't right for her, or maybe she was annoyed and thought fine, we won't stay there. But they did stay last weekend after tennis.

They had another pass for tennis today, Thursday, and so R looked after Little Jo. Sister had booked a performance about dinosaurs at an art's venue for R and Little Jo to attend. Because of the heat, I drove them in to the Arts Centre in my lunch break. Yarra Trams failed totally in getting them home promptly.

Little Jo is fascinated with dinosaurs. Sister said, well, last week it was Pinocchio . Little Jo knows the names of many of dinosaurs, the sounds they make, the climate they lived in. I have never found dinosaurs to be very interesting.

She discovered a kids site on her own of the US tv station PBS, which as far as I know is the only station in the US to be taken seriously about current affairs. She had some fun with the site, but dinosaur movies were blocked to we foreigners. Little Jo said she will go to the US to see the dinosaur movies.

"Uncle Andrew, much of what is known about dinosaurs is hypothesis."

"What are you saying child?"

She defined hypothesis perfectly, just a quote of what she had heard, but far more succinct that I could have explained the word.

"Uncle Andrew, can you write this down please, pbskids.org"

This child needs putting back in her place.

"Little Jo, what does org stand for?"

Rather cheeky of me because the first time I typed it in to an address bar ever so many years ago, I typed aug. I had only heard the appendage, not seen it written.

She did not know what org stood for. Uncle Andrew won the knowledge battle against a six year old child but I doubt I will win the war.

Shan't mention the weather except for our ideal of turning the air con off at night and just using the ceiling fans in the bedrooms has gone out the window.

19 comments:

  1. Little Jo is very bright. Amazing how at ease young children are with the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Years ago I had only CDs and I wasn't sure how to use DVDs. My pre-schooler grand daughter showed me, very patiently and with dismay in her voice, what to do. Actually she said "watch me, gran, and soon you will be able to do it too".

      Delete
    2. Victor, some people say children should be taught about computers, which is unnecessary. They learn as part of their life.

      Delete
    3. Hels, I have the tone of voice she would have used perfectly in my head.

      Delete
  2. Just give her another 10 years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll be a monster by the Rubye.

      Delete
  3. If she aspires to be a scientist, you can send her my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Ad Rad, and you can teach her the finer points of dining out too.

      Delete
  4. You're really going to have intellectual battles ahead of you in eight to ten years with little Jo. She sounds very bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, aren't your own always bright? She may be. I really don't know, but she seems to know a lot.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely do not mention the weather.
    Little Jo is a smart cookie alright, I don't think you will be outsmarting her too much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, one thing I have noticed that she doesn't do that I did a lot of when I was her age, is listening to adult conversations. Women were the best to listen to, and if their voices lowered, I would concentrate even more to hear what was being said.

      Delete
  6. She is one smart little pineapple is she a bit prickly too.
    Merle........................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I see some emotional frailty in her, like her mother. We will see how that goes when she is older.

      Delete
  7. How old is Little Jo Andrew ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, she is 6 1/2.

      Delete
    2. Right little character already hey Andrew :)

      Delete
  8. It does my head in to think of the kids these days and the technology they'll be using when they're my age. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Fen. We'll be too old to understand these new fangled things.

      Delete