Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday Selections

Check to see if River, Jackie and Elephant's Child have posted a Sunday Selections.

This little whimsy was on a concrete wall at QV. I suppose it is Christmas related.


Before Christmas we bought flowers and arrived home to find a bunch from R's Sister. In time most of the flowers from his sister died, except the lilies, which R combined with the others we had bought. 


Outside Hamer Hall is a new walk of stars of the performing arts. This one is for ballet dancer and choreographer Steven Heathcote.The markers are somewhat underwhelming.


A tweet from Yarra Trams informed me of a delay to Flinders Street tram services because of an ill passenger. The passenger must have been very ill, with many police cars and ambulances attending. Not so great for people relying on trams to get to the tennis.


The Australia Hotel is no more, but there still is an Australia Arcade. This bin looks quite old, especially because it has a receptacle for cigarette butts.There were more of them. I wonder how old they are. Could they be from the Australia Hotel?


We thought the crowd had gathered to watch a game of oversized chess. Normally the crowd is much smaller for chess. We were pleased that we checked what people were looking at, as we caught the tail end of Sven's performance. 


I thought he looked Scandinavian, and so called him Sven, but as he went around collecting money for his performance, he kept saying 'merci', so I can only conclude he is French. Calmez-vous, Mme. Grace.


What sort of woman knits up yarn and then goes out to yarn bomb the City Square? Exactly as I'd imagined, well nourished women of a certain age. I saw them putting their works in place a few days earlier. What a way cool thing to do. In 40 degree heat, no poles will feel a chill.


13 comments:

  1. I could happily wrap some yarn around the dark suited gentleman in the final photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes well, he is of a certain build suited to playing a certain code of football. I'll stick with French Sven.

      Delete
  2. If you wanted to see all our beautiful hotels that were destroyed by greedy developers, go to Walking Melbourne, then go to Lost Hotels. The Australia Hotel was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am very aware of them, and anything posted on WM comes to me in an instant.

      Delete
  3. Those tree warmers are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rubye. It is an odd thing, but I like it.

      Delete
  4. The yarn bombs look very nice, the craze has hit Perth and Fremantle too, my brother sent me a photo which I have accidentally deleted from my phone.
    "Sven" looks very fit, nice body, pity he's blonde.
    Elephant's Child isn't with us today, possibly won't be for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I saw some from another city. I can't recall where. You give too much of yourself away when you say it is a pity Sven is blond. Yes, EC has to tidy her house, but I wrote the post early in the week.

      Delete
  5. I love the tree warmers... and Sven sure warms things up, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you knit Mitchell? Could you start a yarn bombing in your town?

      Delete
  6. Speaking of the dark suited man, why is it that people don't get their trousers shortened. It looks ridiculous all gathered up above the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I'd rather them a bit too long than too short, although in this case, his are very long.

      Delete
  7. I did have to enlarge :) Sven to check him out properly, he does look more Swedish than French but whichever.. merci beaucoup Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete