Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday Selections

A few random photos for Sunday Selections where I am often joined by River, Elephant's Child and Jackie.

The last privately owned old house in St Kilda Road.


67 cruise ships are due to moor at Station Pier for the summer cruising season and disgorge 135,000 passengers. Diamond Princess is one of many. (Hels, note I cropped out the ugly rooftops)



Salvia in your life can't be bad. Begonia is a bonus. The trailing pale green plant is regularly trimmed by staff and I particularly like it.


Someone once asked me about how these are constructed and I did not know. I poked my hand in, pulled aside some flowers, and took a good look. There is a succession of large round plastic pots with steeply angled sides stacked on top of each other. The begonias are planted around the outside of the pots and another pot put on top.

I think when I last posted a photo of The George Hotel in St Kilda, it had peeling paint and was somewhat shabby chic. It is now quite smart.

This old and forlorn tram shelter has fallen into a bad state of repair. I don't know who actually owns or is responsible for the old shelters, but they better get a wriggle on and makes some repairs. This one is in the City of Melbourne and the second one below, City of Port Phillip. Are councils responsible for them? Is Yarra Trams responsible for them? Is Vic Track responsible for them? They are listed on the Victorian Heritage Data Base.


There has been a fire in this one and it too is owed some heavy maintenance. They date back to 1927 and they used to have barrier doors. The conductor on the last tram out of the city for the night, the 67 to Carnegie, would lock the doors to prevent the homeless sleeping in them. The doors have long been removed and guess what? They are very attractive to those without a bed to sleep in.


22 comments:

  1. One of the things you either like or don't like about Portland is the homeless can be found sleeping just about anywhere. I figure better they sleep in the open than in the bushes.
    Too bad those tram shelters have not been kept up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, Portland's climate is not too extreme? I must check.

      The shelters will be fixed after a battle over who will pay.

      Delete
  2. Great little tram sheds, why don't they keep them looking good is it like our mediun strip it belongs to the council but it's to responsibility of the homeowner to make it clean and mow it, I had a very interesting chat with our council when I got rid of the lawn and the lawn mower died a sudden death.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, same here for our, we call them nature strips. Chats with council are always interesting, one way or the other.

      Delete
  3. Cruise ships? Not for me. While in Argentina I saw a cruise ship moor at six one morning. Those on board trotted down the gang plank, fully made up, with name tags and keys hanging round their necks. Sigh.
    Love the plantings, and the old buildings.
    What a rich and varied selection you have given us this week. Mega thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no desire to sea cruise EC. While not all, as I don't want to offend Victor or Cathy, there is a certain type of person of person who like sea cruises.

      Delete
    2. Me neither. Nothing but a floating RSL pick-up-joint.

      Delete
    3. Julie, you can't possibly say that. Oh, you did and I may very well agree with you.

      Delete
    4. If I had enough money, I'd do a sea cruise or two.

      Delete
    5. What tempts you River? Julie describing it as a pick up joint?

      Delete
  4. In a pretty sight we had two ships come up the harbour this morning one behind the other.

    The first was Rhapsody of the Seas and the second was Sun Princess returning from the Pacific Islands voyage it took after our NZ cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your eyrie Victor, it must look quite good. Both ships have been here this year. A couple of times there we had two ships in port and perhaps an excess of sailors looking for fun.

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of cruise ships.

    I thought those plants were cockscomb - celosia argentea. I have quite a bit of salvia in the garden, I'm quite fond of them.

    I will have a very gay day on your behalf today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I used to grow salvia so surely I know what I am talking about. Actually, while I did, I don't really remember and you are possibly correct.

      I worked and missed the poof party.

      Delete
  6. Hope those cruise ships don't all arrive on the same day. Those old tram shelters could easily be transformed into something useful. Shame on whoever owns them. They could become flower stall, paper shop, coffee on the go, police beat, fruit stall, information centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, all on the same day. Better than a Spanish Armada. They are spread from late November to late March.

      I love your idea for the tram shelters. Economically viable? Yes, I think so.

      Delete
  7. 67 cruise ships? Not all at once I hope, things could get a little crowded.
    The flower display is beautiful. Next time you pass, put it in your pocket and mail it to me okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No River, spread apart. I have a mental picture of everyone returning to the 67 ships at the same time and the chaos that would ensue.

      Will do re flowers. Padded post bag possibly required.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like Station Pier is going to be pretty busy this year Andrew.. all those tourists, how nice :) Excellent bit of detective work re the begonia stand.. I hope somebody takes responsibility for the tram shelters, it would be a shame to lose that little bit of history, but I am glad the homeless get to use them in the meantime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am fairly sure they will be fixed up. You know, specifications, tenders, consideration for this and that, instead of just telling the in-house carpenter to go and fix them.

      Delete
  9. I did a bit of the disgorging myself - the Spirit of Tasmania :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Hels. I hoped you waved in our direction. I have not been on the Spirit. R has been, and on the past two ferries.

      Delete