Saturday, January 11, 2014

Melbourne Comedians

I devour podcasts like a hungry beast. Most of them come from our ABC Radio National. I have heard that podcasting has saved Radio National. The download figures are extraordinary compared to real time listeners. What RN produces is quality and is probably downloaded all over the world, like BBC podcasts.

But I also like some light relief in my podcasts. In the past, Frank and Benny in The Two Fat Lattes on Joy Melbourne were very amusing. For a while gay comedian Adam Richards amused me with his podcasts, but he disappeared, returned and then disappeared again. The stalwart of Melbourne comedy podcasts must surely be Steele Saunders with I Love Green Guide Letters. Also the Coodabeens have entertained me over the past year.

But maybe Steele wasn't the first. Tommy Dassalo has made more podcasts than Steele and his Little Dum Dum Club podcasts are very good.

I don't really get why talented comedians make podcasts. There is not much in the way of direct earnings to them, especially from the likes of me who doesn't do Apple and the Itunes store. Maybe it is an awareness thing, to get their names known? It is succeeding as I am writing about them. But is a male on the downhill slide to sixty really the audience and the demographic they want? I, who have rarely paid to see or hear anything on the internet, did donate $10 to Dassalo to hear his anniversary special. I haven't listened to it yet but consider it as payment for other podcasts. I could have donated $0 and still downloaded it, but the payment process was easy, so I did pay.

I have praised Steele Saunders and I Love Green Guide Letters in the past. I am now recommending you to have a listen to Tommy Dassalo and Karl Chandler at the Dum Dum Club.

I briefly felt I had a connection with Tommy Dassalo. His parents don't swear and don't tolerate swearing at all, rather like my parents. But we are generations apart. The difference is Dassalo now swears and I don't. Well, I may for effect at times on very special occasions. But the Dassalo podcast swearing is minimal compared to what I have heard on Steele's I Love Green Guide Letters. Why do comedians think fuck is a word that will get the crowd on side? 'Maaaaaaaattttttteeeee. He is a great comedian, down to earth. Swears a lot.' Is that how it works? I feel old.

R is known to use the eff word more than I do, yet after seeing I Love Green Guide Letters live at Melbourne Town Hall and having no idea what the show was about, I can summarise what he said by saying, 'Why do they have to swear such a lot? It was funny enough, but all the swearing was a bit much'.

As a podcast listener of I Love Green Guide Letters, I was a little more sanguine about it, having heard it all before. While Libby Gore is a thoroughly professional fill in host on ABC Melbourne radio, it was good to hear her use the eff word appropriately when she was a guest on the afore mentioned podcast.

Yes, if you have the time, podcasts made by a comedians make some great listening.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoy my RN podcasts too but tend to the talk programs rather than the comedians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, as interesting as they often are, I like some humour too. Life is serious enough and I like to laugh at other people being funny.

      Delete
  2. This is the first I've heard of podcasts. They sound interesting whatever they are. I have mixed feelings about cussing. For instance I hate the s word but don't mind the f word and don't like any of them if used too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I will translate. Podcast are like talking cassette tapes that you download from the net. I really dislike the s word too. My mother slapped my face once for saying it when I was a kid. Yet in her old age, I have heard her say it once.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure what they are I know the name what they are I not sure are they just like a mini film.
    Merle...................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, they are just audio files that you download from the net, usually just talking.

      Delete
  4. "The Two Fat Lattes"... :) Perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hels. In case I have a young reader, most unlikely, there was a cooking show called Two Fat Ladies. You Tube it. It was great.

      Delete
  5. I d/l podcasts then forget to listen to them, so for now I have turned them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, not a bad idea to have a backlog. You never know when you will have to fly somewhere.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of comedy unless it is very good and without too much unnecessary swearing.I haven't listened to a podcast yet. TOH is a fan of comedy I'll tell him to check out this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, they can be a bit hard to come into cold. You kind of need to get to know the presenters over time and like them.

      Delete
  7. I never worked out how to download and listen to podcasts, but I don't think I'm missing anything. Talk back radio isn't my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would take away from your dvd and reading time River. It is just a matter of right clicking and saving them and they will download to listen to anytime.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure if I've ever downloaded anything Andrew, I'm such a technophobe I might have and not realized :) safe to say as much as I love a good comedy gig, I'll have to take your word on above :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, even just looking at a picture means you have downloaded a photo and it will probably be stored in a temporary folder for a time.

      Delete