Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Livery

If you wanted some consistency with your public transport in nineties and noughties, Melbourne and the State of Victoria were not the places to be. About the only good thing was the ticket system that covered all city modes of transport at a fairly cheap price. One company ran trains north and south, another the trains running east west, the same with the trams and another company ran some of the V Line trains. The whole thing was absurd and the fruition of plans made by former evil Premier Jeff Kennett. Some operators just left, leaving the state government to pick up the pieces. Some lost their tenders. Lessons should have been learn from Thatcher's privatisation of public transport, but it wasn't. England must surely now have the most expensive public transport in the world. The legacy we now have is five different train types, and seven different tram types. All the different companies had their own colour schemes but finally someone has seen common sense and they are all being done out in the same livery, with the exception of the historic W class trams and the oldest trams and trains that are soon to be phased out.

This is the new train scheme, in common with the colour used for train signage.


Nice and glossy up close. I don't believe it is paint, but an applied film of contact.


I am not so keen on the bus colour, but orange is the theme colour for our buses and has been for some time.


And lastly the trams in a tasteful green. The trams have been a hotch potch of different schemes but it seems  it is call coming together now.


The vehicles still have the names of the operators on them but not screaming it out. The PTV you may see stands for Public Transport Victoria, sometimes in white, sometimes in red, sometimes displayed like this, PT>which is quite silly.

With private operators came the desire for extra profit, and so all over advertising started to be applied, especially over tram windows, but now trains too, I believe. While it can look attractive from the outside, it is very public transport user unfriendly. At times you simply can't see out of the windows to see where you are.

Below is an easily identifiable location in Melbourne. Got it? No, I didn't think so. Making visibility so poor for the sake of a few shekels is an utter disgrace on the part of Yarra Trams.


21 comments:

  1. We have the all over advertising in NSW too although I believe as passengers we can still see through ours to see where we are at and where we are going.

    I do recall on my last visit to Melbourne having difficulty seeing through the advertising to work out when I had reached the Museum tram stop. That certainly was difficult for visitors not familiar with your city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, and it is worse at night time and when it rains, which it did a little when you were last here, I seem to recall.

      Delete
  2. We don't (yet) have trains and have never had trams. Our buses are mostly the same colour - which is a bonus. And advertising doesn't cover the windows - yet. Money hunger means that it will come though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, on the plans for Canberra from 1920? there was a proposed tram line, which ran north/south I think. I think people should really say no, this is not on.

      Delete
  3. Your buses and trains are more colourful than ours, I seen advertising on some of our buses but not all.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I haven't been in Sydney for a while, but I recall Nifty Nev's blue buses in the 80s, without air con.

      Delete
  4. I haven't caught a tram for a while but wow how hideous is it to try and look out those windows? Even for people familiar with where they are going, how are they supposed to see when they're approaching their stop? Must be many times worse for those not familiar with the city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TVAU, it is an extreme example when a window was dropped down over another, but that was what I could see from a seated view. Yes, I know my way around well enough but on a cold wet night if I am coming from the south on a tram, I struggle to tell which is my stop.

      Delete
  5. I like the blue, orange and green very much. It's distinctive and easily recognisable.
    I agree with you about the window advertising though. It does make it very hard to see where you are. We don't have it on all our buses, I haven't noticed it for a while, maybe it is being removed here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your public transport buses are privately owned I think River. I am surprised there is not more advertising on them.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I just don't see it anymore, I mostly just look for the route number to be sure I get on the right bus.

      Delete
  6. Maybe they'll wash some of those grotty trams I keep seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, note where is the green is. That is where the trams get the dirtiest from carbon from the pantograph washed down when it rains.

      Delete
  7. They do look better all tied in with a similar design. We heard recently that Brisbane has the highest public transport fees in the world. We have just had an increase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, like airport parking charges, they are so hard to compare as the systems are so different. A day ticket in Sydney to use all modes of transport is $23. The same fare here costs $12. But hop on a tram to go one stop here and you pay $3.60.

      Delete
    2. I haven't bought a day ticket since the 90s, when they were $5.90 here.

      Delete
  8. I love the train and tram colors. The bus colors are a bit '70s to my tastes, but still nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, you are not one for sunburnt orange bench tops then?

      Delete
  9. Yup me too, love the new colours, but I know I'd have a panic attack if I couldn't see where I was :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace, seems no-one supports it and that is not a surprised.

    ReplyDelete