Saturday, January 18, 2014

Choof

Is choof a slang word for marijuana? In this case I don't mean the sound a train makes, but a steam tram and I don't know what sort of sound they made. Melbourne did not have steam trams, but Sydney had an extensive system and Rockhampton a smaller system. The Rockhampton system incorporated the engine into the passenger car which made it deliciously warm for the passengers, but quite unwanted in a tropical city.

Sydney's system used a separate engine and a trailer for the passengers. Steam trams weren't terribly good on hills and so for some steep Sydney hills, cable trams were used.

This rather good photo from the State Library of Victoria shows a Woollahra steam tram, most likely in either Queen Street or Ocean Street. I don't believe there are any operational steam trams in Australia, but there is possibly one in New Zealand.


13 comments:

  1. We never had trams so there is charm attached to them in my eyes - lots of charm. And a steam tram? Undoubtedly filthy and ineffecient. With a romance all of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes EC, for sure they would land a smut on your washing if you lived nearby. Electric trams arrived and were much better.

      Delete
  2. I think the steam trams were before my time but I do remember the steam trains.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Merle! How cool to remember steam trains. Did you stand on a bridge and get enveloped by smoke?

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to ride on a tram or a train. I've never ridden in either. What a crime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, never caught a train or street car???

      Delete
  4. I'd never even heard of a "steam" tram. The one in the photo looks kind of charming... and might peculiar.

    "Choof" is a slang word for actually smoking marijuana through a bong (so I've been told).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mtichell, you said might peculiar, and I had images of a an old bloke in an American tv show who limped and sat on a rocking chair. Walt something.

      Bong? I am sure they are illegal here. Our state government told us so. The glass smoking things where you put in leaves and burn them and inhale to smoke aren't though, if you are Middle Eastern.

      Delete
    2. I might to say "mighty" peculiar and thought it sounded kind of American hokey... With the typo, it's even worse. Although Walter Brennan would have said, "That there's a might peculiar, dag-gummit!"

      Delete
    3. That's who it was. What a great character he was.

      Delete
  5. Well, well! No wonder I get some funny looks when I say ..'ok I'm going to choof off now' :) J'adore the old train photograph Andrew, sitting up top would have been fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perth, choof off is far preferable to our former PM's 'got to zip'.

      Delete