Friday, January 10, 2014

Burnt Cops

Three police getting badly burnt after a gas explosion in a suicide attempt by someone with mental health issues is awful. The two relatively new policewomen suffered the worst burns and are fortunately in the care of the Alfred Hospital's burns unit, where you could could not get better clinical care in the world.

Vic Pol, our police force, has began a fund raiser appeal for the officers, and I expect it will receive significant donations. But I would like to ask why is the appeal warranted?  I genuinely want to know.

Firstly, I expect Work Cover will be paying their medical costs. If the matter was unrelated to their work, then our public health system would pick up the cost I would certainly hope the treatment would be no less. In theory, Work Cover will continue to pick up the cost of their treatment and rehabilitation for as many years as it takes.

At some point they will granted a lump sum payout for their injuries, that is compensation for their pain and loss.

Their wages will still be paid, although they will possibly lose penalty rates and shift allowances, which are a substantial I think.

If they can return to work, duties appropriate to whatever disability they are left with will be found for them.

If they don't recover well enough, the new National Disability Scheme should pick up any pieces that might have been missing in the past. They will be dealt with sympathetically by every department who is involved in their case. Not everyone is, but police officers injured when on duty assuredly are.

Once recovered, and hopefully they do fully, I would quite happily chip in for a holiday to Disneyland or whatever they wanted to do.

But really, what is the need for the fund raiser? Is Vic Pol's care for its officers injured while on duty so inadequate?




16 comments:

  1. It's a tragic happening for sure, but I also see no need for the fundraiser. As you said they will be well covered by workcover and I'm sure there is some sort of insurance cover as well. They're in a dangerous job, they should have job/injury insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am sure they will be well cared for. I would like someone to tell me why there is need for a fund raiser? Sometimes people fall through the system and there is a need, but I can't see it in this case.

      Delete
  2. Another wonderer here also - I didn't see the any of the news reports today so don't know if it is the actual police force or the police association that has raised the appeal - do you know?
    All I hope is that any funds raised are administered in a better manner than those from the bushfire appeal were.
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I don't know but it was jointly media released by the force and the association. I am not going near the minefield of the bushfire appeal.

      Delete
  3. This is so so sad to hear about. I hope they can recovery as fully as possible. My thoughts are with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I hear time and time again that people have no respect for the police.....
    How can you not respect men and women who up themselves in harms way everyday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree John. I am amazed at the apparent disrespect shown by UK citizens to the police, if tv is to be believed.

      Delete
  5. I don't understand why neither ! It's sad, but being a policeman is a risky work ! That's their own choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is risky Gattina, and when things go wrong for them, there should be a good system to look after them.

      Delete
  6. The NSW Government has tightened disability allowances and some of our Police unable to work because of serious work related injuries have had their allowances significantly reduced.

    It is scandalous that Police who placed themselves in harm's way to protect us have been treated with such lack of concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I do recall seeing something about that on tv. Some rorting does go on and needs to be stopped, but to use the well worn phrase, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

      Delete
  7. I saw this story and thought to myself, that could be me, or my colleagues. We deal with mentally ill people day in, day out. I guess we become desensitized to the dangers. But realistically, we have a higher chance of that sort of stuff happening to us. It's a little unsettling.

    My Aunt works in the Alfred Burns unit, she's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you know what Fen, it will come from someone who you least expect when any guard you may have is down.

      Some truly brilliant people work at the Alfred. Sometimes I am more inclined to trust what a nurse says than a doctor.

      Delete
  8. I saw this story and cringed. I suspect the money is not so much for the injured officers - but for their families. Who will probably have to take time off work, and will run out of paid leave very rapidly.
    And the New National Disability Insurance will come to the party - if it isn't dismantled. Or watered down to the point of ineffectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that is what I missed. Good work.

      The Abbott hasn't said too much about NDI, but I too fear for its survival, or it being in a ghost like state.

      Delete