Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Quiet Sunday Afternoon

Our lives are at the mercy of so many. One tiny mistake....

It began with a crash and a screech of tyres as the tram pushed the car along at an angle at 2.54pm.


In less than ten minutes all emergency services were present. Clearly someone is trapped in the car. It looks serious. A tweet from Yarra Trams at 3.09 informs subscribers of their Twitter feed of the the delay to St Kilda Road tram services.


The tram is moved back to give firemen access to the driver's door. An air compressor driven device wrenched the door open and firemen folded the door back. The car driver is removed and put in an ambulance at 3.30.


Two camera men capture footage, probably for tonight's tv news. Trams moving again at 3.45. Roads re-opened at 3.56. No tweet from Yarra Trams about the trams resuming as I publish at 4.02.


Later edit: Trying to work whether the tram driver or the motorist was at fault has preoccupied me. I recall what I heard, the collision and then the sound of of squealing rubber tyres. I did not hear the tram gong a warning, nor the tram electro magnetic brakes clamping down onto the track. Cars face a turn arrow where the cars turn into Toorak Road, either red or green of course. There is also a camera to snap motorists turning illegally against a red arrow. Channel 7 news confirmed the motorist was at fault, as I thought by what I heard. The middle aged woman turned against the red arrow as the tram proceeded through the intersection. Funny isn't it. People make mistakes and of course one feels sorry for the injured woman, but there was not an innocent person hurt.

12 comments:

  1. Not so quiet a Sunday after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, R was watching tv in his bedroom, or napping and did not even bother to come and see. His afternoon remained quiet.

      Delete
  2. The concept of time is so intriguing. One minute you are faced with a life and death situation and a few minutes later all is normal again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, a couple of hours later I look down and you would not know anything happened. If I am delayed for whatever reason when going somewhere and something bad happens to me, I will curse myself for being late. But I never think of anything going wrong if I am on time.

      Delete
  3. Ouch. Sadly after calling ambulances for too many people dear to me I now start to leak at the eyes when I see or hear them. A reaction I can do without. Hopefully it will stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, behind every siren we hear, every chopper we see land at The Alfred helipad, is a tragedy happening in someone's life. I never become blasé about such things.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness - yes you're right, in the blink of an eye everything can change. Just think how many lives were changed here, in less than an hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Jackie, the motorist who ended up in hospital, I should think a very stressed tram driver, once accident more for emergency service workers to add to their mental toll, and me, who shall drive to work tomorrow very carefully.

      Delete
  5. You do have a birds eye view up there Andrew! I 'm horrified to say that I see people going through red lights nearly every day.. I won't even proceed now until I know for sure everyone coming the other way is definitely going to stop..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I have seen it often enough too. There was a very tragic case here a week ago when it is alleged a driver went through a red light deliberately and killed three people.

      Delete
  6. It never ceases to amaze me that people blindly turn like this. Through a red arrow, then what, hoping to beat the tram or completely ignorant of the fact that there was a tram there? BAFFLING I SAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baffling it is Fen. Red arrows are the same as red lights, but people treat them differently.

      Delete