Thursday, January 23, 2014

A little public Chopin

Two dozen people and organisations generously donated and painted (over French polishing, sob) upright pianos which are spread around the Arts Precinct and Swanston Street for people to...........what? Play of course. Tangle Talons did not embarrass myself by trying to remember any tune to play. I just say, I need the music to read. This is partly true, to learn a piece, slowly. I have forgotten all now. The pianos are regularly tuned. Imagine what last week's 40 degree plus heat did to the strings.

But isn't it just a wonderful idea? Our walking past co-coincided with the conclusion of an Angelina the Ballerina kids performance, so  there were lots of kids around.

Oh, they can actually play.

I think these may be the same kids, moved on to another piano.


He was playing Chopin, not because I recognised it. I just heard someone say Chopin. It was very pleasant piece of music.


'Piss off old gramps, we need to play Chopsticks.' While the girls' father protested, the man obliging said to the girls, please play for me, and they did.


She very sweetly played the music from It's a Mad World from the movie Donnie Darko. You may remember it being Tears for Fears first international hit or perhaps being used in a promotion for ABC TV News. I consider the sprinkling of pianos around the city as brilliant public art.


26 comments:

  1. This looks like loads of fun. Wow I haven't heard "Mad World" in years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I believe it is an anti war song. I must read the lyrics.

      Delete
  2. We have the same activity in Sydney although I can't remember at what time of year or in connection with what festival.

    I wonder if the same pianos are used in the two cities? That must be an expensive transport exercise if they are the same pianos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The may be the same pianos Victor. I did not recognise any of the donor names as being local.

      Delete
  3. I do like music in the street always cheers me up even if it's not to good.
    They are colourful and good to look at too.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, funny how pianos can be loud in a room, but outside, the strength is lost. Always good to hear people make music.

      Delete
  4. It IS brilliant public art, isn't it? Very clever thinking, Melbourne City Council!!

    Remember your footage about ordinary citizens being able to conduct the City Orchestra in one city street or another? I thought that was brilliant as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is the work of Arts Victoria, via the Arts Centre. Connecting art to people on the street is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Oh, this really is cool Andrew! Street music always makes people happy but having pianos all about for anyone to play is perfect. I saw something akin to a bicycle today where maybe 20 people pedal the thing through the streets and everyone on it was so happy and waving to people in their cars. What's that got to do with pianos? Things that bring people together maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, the bicycle sounds amazing. I better look at You Tube.

      Delete
  6. We have painted pianos around Adelaide too, just not right now, I think they're part of the Fringe Festival. I have Mad World on my ipod, but sung by Gary Jules. Maybe it isn't the same song. I know I'm tired of it and plan to delete it next time I add new songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I know Jules is associated with the song. I thought maybe he was the composer. I had not heard the song for a while and it was very nice hearing it played at the station. Fringe is soon. Ads are popping up in Melbourne.

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant idea. And no, I haven't seen it or anything like it here. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, there was the wonderful music organ at Floriade this year, that I wrote about. Not quite the same, but still free.

      Delete
  8. Nice to see people (other than kids) having the courage to bash out a tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I thought there would be just a few people hitting random keys. I was so pleased to see them actually being played, by kids too.

      Delete
  9. Nothing out in the suburbs tho'!

    Off topic - did you find the Kopi very sweet with the condensed milk?
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was actually Cathy, although pretty limited, Coburg, Altona and Dandenong.

      I just drank Kopi black. I must reread my posts from then as I can't remember in detail.

      Delete
  10. I agree with you. This is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so Mitchell.

      Delete
  11. I don't like piano music, except when Elton John is playing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What instrument do you like Gattina?

      Delete
  12. There's one in Dandenong, I saw it last week! I also sat at the one at Southbank the week prior. I can't play anything, so it was just posing on my behalf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I saw your good photo of one at Southbank.

      Delete
  13. It is a nice idea Andrew, we had them sprinkled around the city a while back.. didn't catch any kids or old men playing one though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am really wondering now if they are the same pianos being moved around the country.

      Delete