Saturday, December 07, 2013

The Shark Failed

I had a medical appointment. R thought he would fill in the time without my scintillating presence by ironing. My presence was so scintillating and he was so fixated on my witty words, he began to iron before I left. Well, that was his intention, but the Shark iron died.

Gawd, it is only a couple of years old and it has failed.

"Oi you", R respectfully asked his kind and sharing companion of 34 years, "How old is the iron?"

I had a vague recollection of posting about our new Shark iron and I knew I had not typed the word shark too often in my blog, so I should be able to find it easily.

It was a really good iron, until it stopped working. To both my and R's astonishment, the iron is nearly ten years old. I wrote about it here. What is this talking thing I wrote about at the time? Neither R nor myself can remember and what I wrote then does not make it clear. But I do recall an American accented voice saying, 'Welcome to your new Shark iron'.


A new iron is a priority. There were many things on our to do list today. We caught one bus and about six trams and walked a bit too. Our third last errand was more christmas cake brandy (yes, the first cake was a fail and the remains of the brandy evaporated). The second last was a $5 iced coffee, so refreshing. The last was the iron. The Shark came from chuck out cheap table at a large retailer ten years ago. Lo and behold, the one we have bought today also came from the same chuck out cheap table at the same retailer. We enquired of the 'stealing our jobs Irish staff person' about a box and a manual. No Sir, that is why it is reduced from $120 to $60. I had embarrassed myself by asking about the manual. Firstly I knew it would be online, and secondly, do you really need a manual to know how to operate an iron? Irish man just kept talking, as the Irish do.

The ironing board is cluttering our lounge/dining area. I don't like. But our new iron is sitting there, ready to be used. R plugged it it and a pretty blue illuminated display lit up, terralyne curtains to linen and everything in between. R, sometimes more pessimistic than myself, immediately said, 'once this display fails, how will I know how to get it to the right setting?'. 'Hon, you will by then know how many times you have to press the button to get it to the hot setting.'

Russell Hobbs used to be an upmarket brand. I think it is a bit devalued now.

16 comments:

  1. I purchased a new, major brand name, iron earlier this year from my store (you know the one) and two of the shiny blue knobs fell off at its second use.

    The iron still works OK but it looks a little forlorn with two gaps where the shiny blue knobs should be. I feel sorry for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, someone from your deep down past told me you are rough with 'appliances'. Best I don't say more.

      Delete
  2. My iron was years old and only fell apart lately, I ended up buying one from K-Mart for about 10 dollars it works well and is very light as the heavy ones make my wrists ache plus it just doesn't get used much these days.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fell apart Merle? How, pray tell? As R irons my shirts, he deserves a decent iron with pretty blue lights.

      Delete
  3. *whistles* Very fancy indeed. Mine would fail from lack of use I'm tipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, they generally use 2400 kw of power. Think of the savings you have made by not ironing.

      Delete
  4. Hmm, a shark iron which jumped the shark.
    I loathe and detest ironing, but do it because I like the way things look and feel afterwards. I would have gone out to buy a new one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, ironing is now so minimal. It is not like the old days where every thing had to be ironed, so stop your complaining.

      Delete
  5. Find the setting that does everything satisfactorily and leave it there. No re-setting required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it rather depends as to whether it defaults to the previous setting when it is switched on. It is a mini computer after all.

      Delete
  6. I don't iron. If the clothing concerned goes underneath and doesn't show, it doesn't need ironing. If the item goes on top and does show, then it has to be made of a non-iron fabric.

    Joe has work shirts that must be ironed, so he does them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, sounds like a very equal kind of household.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Wombat, it is what neat people do.

      Delete
  8. Wow! A hi-tech iron!!! Why? WHY????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, it distracts oneself from worries of global warming. Hmm, possibly it is causing some global warming.

      Delete