Thursday, December 26, 2013

Seeing aorund corners

These convex mirrors were installed in our building's carpark a while ago. They work really well, effectively enabling you to see around corners as you travel up and down the ramps. There must be about twenty of them. No-one travels at 8km/h, usually about 15. I know of no accidents between cars or people being mown down. It is a nuisance if people don't use their headlights as you can't see them coming out of the corner of your eye, but the mirrors make it much easier to see cars coming. But do they make the car park safer? You would think yes, but I am not so sure.


I find I tend to drive a little bit faster in the car park because I can now easily see if there is a car coming the other way. Does that make it safer?

17 comments:

  1. Not really.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does really Merle.

      Delete
  2. There is something wrong with the male brain :(

    They put up great safety devices, which seem to be very helpful, so what happens? Men drive faster to make up with the extra caution enforced by the safety mirrors. Caution is a Good Thing, not an imposition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The male brain Hels?. Yes, well the less said about that the better. But if I can see what used to be blind areas?

      Delete
  3. I must have a male brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.. Male brains can rest in anyone's head. Just as some women can be very tall and some men very short, so can some men be very safety conscious and some women can be great risk takers.

      Delete
    2. nuh, I am a girl paradox.

      Delete
    3. Fen, some things about the male brain are good. They are less busy.

      Delete
    4. I agree, I'd much rather have a lot of the ways of the male brain.

      Delete
  4. Your attitude seems to be common. I have seen some very near misses - in the hospital car park particularly. Convenient location perhaps, but just the same...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I know what you mean, but you can't do any kind of speed that I have seen in such places.

      Delete
  5. I don't drive, so really shouldn't comment, but I think if you can clearly see others coming, you might become a bit too complacent, which might lead to carelessness if you are in a hurry. With the same possibility occurring with the other driver. Be alert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, driving in a hurry is on a road to trouble, wherever you are. Yes, complacency is a danger.

      Delete
  6. Nup, can't see a bloody thing in those mirrors.
    Probably a good thing I don't drive :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, I can see a white cane mounted on the bonnet of a car, tap tapping away as your car progressed along the street.

      Delete
  7. Hahahaha! It was almost as good reading the comments as reading the post!! But I think the jury's still out ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, terribly glad almost was emphasised.

      Delete