Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pussies Licking

This may be a photo repost. I think the barbeque came from McEwens Hardware and it was called a Wendy. Light up the Wendy will you hon. John recently lost one of his favourite roosters. Unlike with your children, you can have favourite pets. Post a barbeque in 1987, Thomas and Tuffy patiently waited for the Wendy rack to cool before getting stuck into what ever was stuck to the bars.


Tuffy is on your left. We had a mutual working relationship with him. He would stay with us if we fed him. He also had a working relationship with the black and white Thomas. We have to live together so I will tolerate you, but don't expect us to be mates. Tuffy had a tough early life and I suppose you could say we rescued him.

Thomas was the opposite. He was a quite large cat, although he does not appear to be in the photo. He was affectionate to the point of being embarrassing. He was constantly rubbing against legs, jumping up onto laps, seeking affection wherever he could. He would purr at the drop of a hat and unfortunately drool when you patted him. Ten minutes of Thomas on your lap and you would have a significantly sized wet spot.

Although we think Thomas was a bit older than Tuffy, they both died of old age within twelve months of each other. It is always hard to pick the right moment for that final trip to the vet, but I think we got the quality of life balance right. We shed a tear as Tuffy went. We blubbed likes babies as Thomas went and drank too much that evening. I'm glad we had a female vet, who was just great. Sometimes women can comfort in a way men never can.

18 comments:

  1. They wind their paws deep into your heart strings and take a piece of you with them when they leave don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do EC, and dogs are even worse than cats.

      Delete
  2. At least you didn't say I had lost one of my cocks!
    Thanks for the big up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have John, but I thought I had pushed things far enough.

      Delete
  3. The loss of a beloved pet is always a heartbeaker, even with snooty, stand offish creatures like Tuffy. Yet humans live 80+ years, dogs 10 years or so and cats 13 years or so. So it shouldn't be a surprise that in a lifetime of pet owning, we are going to bury a lot of animals!

    When my gorgeous black labrador Emperor Rudolf II of Prague had to eventually be put down, we invited all the family to say goodbye to him at a Last Supper in our family room. I think Rudy was too sick to enjoy it, but the family appreciated their last moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a gorgeous story Hels and I love his name.

      Delete
  4. I don't like cats but I can understand someone mourning the loss of a pet. That trip to the vet is hard. I had to take our dog years ago but still remember the trauma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, in some ways it seems worse than when a close one dies. Not sure why. I am a dog person, but cats are ok.

      Delete
  5. Pussies, wet spots, and the comfort of women?? That almost overshadows the pathos of pet loss ... we inherited an 18 yo old cat from our home's previous owners. 6 months later when it died, we bawled for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, are you saying I spoilt the solemnity of the post with poorly chosen words? Unexpected deaths are possibly harder. Was the 18 year old cat's death unexpected?

      Delete
    2. No, I am just saying you sure know how to lure a girl in!!! The cat had kidney failure so had to be put down. It's amazing how attached you can get in 6 months!

      Delete
    3. Red, interesting to ponder how time does not necessarily form attachment.

      Delete
  6. It seems to be a thing with black and white cats, I've never met one yet that didn't purr at a single touch and wind in and out of my ankles before sleeping on my lap.
    Sad when they die, I cried buckets of tears when my last cat had to be put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick run through the memory bank River, I think he was the only black and white cat I ever knew. Is it the helplessness of pets, like we are totally responsible for them that makes us grieve so much?

      Delete
  7. How sweet the two cats on the barbecue ! Yes it's a hard decision to take when they become too old and sick. My vet is also a lady, I think especially for cats they are more soft and sensible. When my last cat died after 19 years of life together, I was crying so much that my vet took me in her arms and hugged me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that is sweet that your vet gave you a hug. When our favourite dog was put down by a different vet, we were sent flowers, which made us wonder how much we had paid. I think we were regular customers.

      Delete
  8. They're very helpful cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so Fen. It was all about them.

      Delete