Monday, December 23, 2013

A Mince Pie Review

We have tried four different brands of mince pies this year.

Not pictured but Bakers Delight were pretty awful with very thick pastry and not much filling. I think they were about $7.

The clear winner were the mince pies from Waitrose in Britain and at about $8 they were excellent value. I expected them to be good and they certainly were.


These came from David Jones Food Hall and were almost $12. Luxury Mince Pies? Almost inedible and we were so disappointed. The pastry was too sweet, far too thick and too crumbly, although the little filling they contained wasn't too bad. They are sitting on top of the microwave and neither of us are keen to have another.


I was very surprised at Coles Supermarket own brand which contain some dark rum. They are very very nice and at $4, an absolute bargain. Whoever supplied Coles with these better do so next year.

15 comments:

  1. Never have mince pies don't like them at all.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I have grown to like them. They are not something I was brought up eating.

      Delete
  2. We haven't gone down the mince pie path this year (and I have been too lazy to even contemplate making them). Thanks for the tip about the Coles variety though. If I am out tomorrow I might pick some up for himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should make them next year EC. But I certainly won't make my own pastry, as River does.

      Delete
  3. Don't think I have ever had a mince pie but the family loves their chocolate log cakes so we're sticking with that this year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and looking forward to reading about your (mis)adventures in 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, that is an interesting cake for christmas. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. I stumbled accross the Coles Bundaberg Rum variety a few weeks ago and have since downed three packets. Admittedly not all by myself. They are the best Ive tasted this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, if you eat too many you may well stumble after eating them as well. :-)

      Delete
  5. I haven't had any this year, which is not usual. My Nanna normally makes some pretty good ones, but I think this year she just stuck with shortbread biscuits. She didn't even do rum balls :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, is she getting to the age where she just can't be bothered anymore? Just too hard.

      Delete
    2. oh yes, she's 86, well past the caring age!

      Delete
  6. I'll stick with my homemade, I made three dozen this afternoon. and a slab of melt-in-the-mouth chocolate fudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no test run this year River!

      Delete
  7. I do love a mince pie!! We bought Mr Kipling again this year, and they were okay- even though they were dreadful last year- crumbly and dry. Coles eh? I may just have to pick up a packet after Boxing Day to try them. Have a good Christmas, Andrew and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RJ, and they might be even cheaper then. Thanks.

      Delete