Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Merry Old Day

Christmas to me means family. I am not religious but christmas is an important cultural tradition to me. By the time this is published, I will be already up, perhaps off getting some ice to chill the drinks in the laundry trough.

This is our oldest christmas ornament, from about 1982.


We received three hand made cards this year, one from Peter in Amsterdam, accompanied by a large piece of delicious chocolate which lasted a few minutes, one from Pants in Larrikens End featuring her own artwork and this very special one from Copperwitch. Surely oh red haired one, you did not stick each jewel on individually? It is just brilliant.


Our tree this year. We bought battery operated LED lights for it this year. 100 did not go far. We bought another lot and the second lot were discounted by 30%. I don't know how they worked, but the first evening we turned them and then off when we went to bed. The next night I was last up and I forgot to turn them out, but in the morning they were off. I thought R turned them off during the night. To keep it brief, each night they would come on by themselves at about 6.30 and off by themselves at what time we don't know. It is not light related as we had a very dark day where the light was dimmer than at 6.30. The set just seemed to learn from the first setting.

When R wound the new lights onto the tree, the first lot would not work, well, they would come on and go off again. We puzzled over this for a day or two, altering flashing rates etc but they became worse. At school I vaguely remember we a class called Clear Thinking, and that was what was needed. In a moment of enlightenment, I asked myself why would battery operated lights keep going off? Asking myself the correct question immediately gave the correct answer. The batteries were flat. There were four AA batteries of an obscure brand and clearly not made to last. Now we take firm control of when the lights are on and off.


If it is not your day to celebrate, then you can still make it day to eat and drink too much. I bid you all Seasons Greetings.

(Hels, read a book a book and go out for a walk. There is always tv?)

17 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Andrew. I hope it is a great one.
    Jahteh's Christmas cards are works of art aren't they? Mine takes pride of place, and is treasured. It certainly won't be recycled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here. love to you too.

      Delete
    2. EC, yes, we kept last year's.

      Ann, thanks. It is lovely to know you.

      Delete
  2. The ornament is charming and that tree is wonderful. Very Dr. Seussian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitchell. Dr. Seussian? I have to think about that.

      Delete
  3. I remember Clear Thinking very well. Students were presented with a hunk of prose, on one issue or another, and were given the task of reading, understanding and analysing the position being promoted. The student then had to write down the logical consistencies or inconsistencies in the prose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Hels, I remember it properly now. Quite a good thing for students to do.

      Delete
  4. I love that first ornament. I have plans to buy discounted ornaments every year after Christmas, but I never remember to actually go to the shops.
    A class called Clear Thinking?? I've never heard of that, but I sure wish we'd had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, generally Clear Thinking has not been applied by me in my life.

      JT's cards really are too good to be chucked.

      Delete
  5. P.S. echoing Elephant's Child, JahTeh's cards are works of art and mine won't be getting recycled either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. decades ago I experienced another reason why the electric lights were going on-off-on-off and it was because one of the pet rabbits was chewing through the flex at the power point. it lived to old age. I hope as I type you are replete and content. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, content the day went well, but ever so tired. Was the rabbit house trained?

      Delete
  7. Merry Xmas, DrewAn!

    A late pressie ...a doco of the Outer Circle Railway is to be made, link here...

    http://outercircleline.com.au/the-documentary/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I have been too busy to walk the last part. I will look at the link tomorrow. I am ever so tired now.

      Delete
    2. That's great Jayne. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I hope you had a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fen, it was good and fun family day.

      Delete