Monday, November 18, 2013

Walking the Outer Circle Day 2

The weather was cooler this day. I had a jacket with me but I became quite warm while walking. I travelled on the 48 tram to East Kew where my last walk ended. A cute little house hemmed in by large neighbours. Maybe it is a cafe. Not even google will tell me what kullmif is. (If I spelt it correctly, it would help. Kuul Mif is a designer furniture outlet)



The old Kew Post Office has a very well patronised and trendy cafe. Ah, it is called QPO. Clever.


Well here is the old Outer Circle railway bridge at East Kew. Refer back to my first post for the Outer Circle Railway Line map.


Clearly the tunnel underneath has been pretty well filled in. I expect the Kew East Station was here where the land is wide.

Later edit: This was the site of the goods yard.


Along the way a bit some bare earth showed bluestone


It's a long way between stations. I am a very expensive area now. The linear park is beautifully maintained in the City of Boroondara and well used too by cyclists and an extraordinary number of mothers pushing children in expensive looking prams. Gosh, I should have have dressed up a bit. Quite a few daddies were with children too, no doubt having the extra day off on the eve of the Melbourne Cup.


I am roughly at the location of Deepdene Station, as this signboard tells me. I had just crossed the mighty Burke Road, one of Melbourne's most horrible roads. The Deepdene Dasher ran from here to Ashburton, later truncated to Riversdale when the electric train began to run from the city line at Camberwell to Alamein. I don't know why it was called a Dasher.I expect it went at a quite leisurely pace.


A little nod of the head to the train line with this railway looking fence.

I crossed over the roadway of Whitehorse Road, although there was clearly a railway bridge there, the tunnel had been filled in. From a distance I thought this might be infrastructure but no, it is a small amphitheatre.

Later edit: This was the site of Deepdene Station.


I completely missed the site of Roystead Station. I am very clearly now walking in a railway cutting.


Under Barnsbury Road I go. I've never heard of it.


And under Mont Albert Road. Not even a bit of soot to be seen in the tunnel.

Later edit: Roystead Station was just south of this tunnel.


The site of Shenley Station.


The cutting bank is not as steep here and wider. It may be where the Shenley station platform was.

Later edit: I believe this is incorrect and Shenley Station is now where there is a tennis court.


The Canterbury Road bridge with quite a steep rise out of the tunnel.


I don't know if you will be able to read this but essentially it says that where the line crossed Canterbury Road the intention was to just have a level crossing where cars on the road stop to let the train past, but the authorities insisted a tunnel was built, adding a lot to the construction cost but who cares about a few £s a century later, when we still have many level crossings in greater Melbourne and it takes millions of $s to rectify.

The reservation is very wide here as the line split with a branch going off to connect to the Box Hill line and straight ahead to Alamein Station.


Is this some kind of railway power substation? It look like it. Is it still operational?


I have only put this shot up because I like the 'coolie hat' lampshade. This appears to be operational equipment. It wouldn't surprise me that this could do everything that could be done inside the building in days past, but I don't know much about matters of the electric.


The final station for today is the operational East Camberwell Station where I caught the train back to town. My goodness, is the track rough out this way. The train was bucking and swaying around marvellously. When looking down at the track, I noted that about every third sleeper was concrete, with the rest being timber in various stages of decay.

My next walk will be along the still operational part of the Outer Circle line, from East Camberwell to Alamein. Well, depending on my feet, maybe just Ashburton.

13 comments:

  1. Looked like a really pleasant walk. Might have to replicate it sometime. Some of the photos look European.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, the lushness of trees and grass at this time of the year does give a very English feel.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed going along on this walk with you as I have said before I've only been to Melbourne once and that was only for a couple of hours so it's all new to me.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha,

      I have lived in Melbourne for 75% of my adult life and it is all new to me too :)

      Andrew,

      What is a linear park? It looks lovely, in any case.

      Delete
    2. Merle, I am very much walking through the suburbs of the real 'lucky Australians'. I don't know that they are any happier, but they are very comfortable.

      Hels, not hard. Linear? A long park, in this case stretching for most of the length of the Outer Circle railway, now mostly parkland on where the train used to run. You must have heard of New York's Highline Park, built on an old elevated train line. It too is a linear park.

      Delete
  3. Quite a lovely walk this time. Is that you in a couple of the photos? who is walking with you to take those photos? I hope you bought them a beer after. I like the little amphitheatre and that railway cutting that is so green on either side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not me River. Well, I think there was a bit of my shadow in one. I was on my Pat Malone. The green in Melbourne this year is magnificent.

      Delete
  4. So glad to have been taken on this cyber-walk. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitchell. I do enjoy doing the walks.

      Delete
  5. It's designer furniture - google "kuul mif" and you shall find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did add that Fen. I had spelt it wrongly.

      Delete
  6. I grew up just near East Camberwell Station ! We used to ride our bike along the old cutting, but it was just a slightly scary muddy path, not a lovely landscaped thing like now. You would have passed my old Scout Hall, the 3rd Camberwell, just opposite the thing that is indeed a substation, or was. Certainly a large part is empty, as Harold Freeman painted his huge 'cavalcade of transport' mural there in the 70s; it was quite prominent in the old Spencer St Station, but now is stuck in the shopping centre attached to the new station. So yes perhaps the equipment attached to it is all thats needed now. I always wondered where / how the outer circle ran under the Ringwood line, and if there was some kind of subterranean station so you could swap to East Camberwell Station - I see a dot on the map, but where exactly was it ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP, I do recall there being another building near the substation. I've subsequently learnt that some train tracks leading into the substation are still there. Just a couple of weeks ago I went to see the mural at So Cross and I was so disappointed to see it barely visible at the back of shops and it was very hard to photograph.

      It is an interesting question about how the meeting of the two lines. Hopefully all will be revealed in the forthcoming docu, which I am sure you are aware of.

      Thanks for the colour.

      Delete