Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Too cheap Missy

I was passing one of those el cheapo variety shops and in one of those rotating rack stands they had a selection of picture calendars for $2 each.


They were so cheap. I thought I would buy three for Little Jo to cut up for craft purposes. I assumed that quite nice photographic calendars for $2 were 2013 calendars with only a couple of months to go. Once home, R pointed out to me that,

they are 2014 calendars, that go for eighteen months, so until June 2015. And all they were was $2 each.

You may think I would be pleased at finding such a bargain, but I am not. At the price of $2 a photographer cannot be properly paid. At the price of $2 the timber that goes into making the paper is undervalued. At the price of $2 the processor of the paper is not being properly enough paid to avoid damage to the environment. At the price of $2 the owner of the shop selling is not getting a good return. At the price of $2 the shop owner is not paying his staff an adequate wage. $2 for ok quality is just wrong. That is unless there is something wrong with the calendars, such as dates not matching days.

I recall Dina once asking me why I thought some clothes were too cheap and I struggled to answer her with a proper explanation. Dina, if you are reading this, this is my explanation. It is the same for clothes.

Bush Babe produces her own calendars, and I expect at $20 they are about a break even proposition for her. I don't know if she has any left, but you could try.

14 comments:

  1. Love the dog dressed as a frog
    Mad as ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I haven't really looked at them yet. I think the niece will like them.

      Delete
  2. If those calendars were created and printed overseas there are transportation costs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be sure they were Victor. Good point.

      Delete
  3. They are too cheap all those things you say is true.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet Merle, us not buying them will do no good. So I will continue to buy cheap.

      Delete
  4. R had to point out that they are 2014 calendars even though that date is clearly printed on the front in large numbers?
    Tsk Tsk.
    I do agree about the cheap clothing etc, but I've also read that many of the "high end" clothes that people pay large amounts for are made in some of the same child labour factories that produce the $4.00 t-shirts, the $6.99 pyjamas. How do you know where these things are made if all the labels read Made In China, or India or wherever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, perhaps I am big picture person and don't see the detail. Yes, even I am surprised I did not notice.

      Yes, maybe better to buy cheap than expensive when they may well come from the same place.

      Delete
  5. ooh that reminds me that the Bureau of Meteorology calendars are available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already? Better visit.

      Delete
  6. Using the calendars for craft sounds like a great idea.
    Many of these cheap ones are not much good for writing appointments etc on [a sort of noticeboard to share with other householders]. Whatever is written on the cheaper ones can leave marks on the next month's dates.

    Heaven knows what chemicals etc are used to bleach paper [regardless of what the paper itself is made of].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper bleach, FC. Just another aspect. The paper processed in Asia probably came from trees in Tasmania.

      Delete
  7. My niece and nephew would love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to look at Keith, or to cut up and use?

      Delete