Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Selections

River and Jackie both participate in Sunday Selections, and I have enough random photos to put one together today.

A large sign had been erected on the grass of this building. I thought, gee it is big. I hope it is well secured. It wasn't and along came a big wind and blew it down. As it was the weekend and no management in the building, I called the State Emergency Service. They arrived within half an hour and secured the sign and cut holes in it to let the wind pass through, haha. A smaller sign has now been erected and better angled to the prevailing wind.



Only once before have I seen the people using the spa in the building opposite. I am not sure I would want to use it with so many eyes peering down.


We were in David Jones Food Hall. It was quite busy. Oysters and champers for the Anglos. Noodles for the Asians.


Yours for a mere $650. I am sure it would lovely when lit and the train was circling around.


The lift has only been refurbished and the handle mount for lift attendant operation is still there. I only know of one building in town that has a lift operator now. If you know of any please mention it in the comments.


We met four friends for a meal of Korean Fusion. I wasn't sure if I would like fusions, but I was prepared to give them a try. We had a fantastic meal of delicious food and first class service at reasonably cheap prices. I highly recommend The More The Better. This is the old Elsternwick Post Office.


Next door is a building that quite fascinates me, the Caulfield City Rifle Club. Well not so much the building, just the name.


The name made me suspect the ethnic origin of the business owner, or the signwriter. The text at the bottom confirmed my suspicions. Shorten JEAN HEM only 15 minutes service.

A bit of cuteism at the restaurant till.


Now for a double rant. It was an eclectic mix of people on the tram on the way home. R asked as we alighted, why were there so many crazies on the tram. Ah, look in the sky, a full moon. The tram was nearly ten minutes late, at 9.40 at night. How can that be? The driver just ambled along and I got my phone out to check our speed. He once hit 40 km/h, for about a second. Otherwise it was between 20 and 30. Pathetic.


And I haven't finished with trams yet. That was Friday night. Today, Saturday, we were having coffee at Beacon Cover and the cruise ship Radiance of the Seas was docked at Station Pier. A tram had just departed the terminus as we arrived in the car and in the half hour we were there eating a muffin and drinking our coffee, there was not one tram. People, including many from the cruise ship clutching their shiny new Myki cards, milled around the live timetable indicator trying to make some sense of what was happening. I tried with both Tram Hunter and Tram Tracker and I could not make any sense. Three trams travelling together, the first disappeared, then nothing was moving. There still wasn't one when we left and felt Melbourne has given a very bad first impression to the cruise liner passengers, who were no doubt wishing they had booked a tour on one of the very many coaches that were arriving and departing.

17 comments:

  1. Trams must be better than buses, surely. Ours are always late if you are early and early if you are late, I don't know how they know but they do.
    Lift operators haven't seen one for years but the QVB had one in the lift I have heard.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are better Merle. I have used them a lot over the past couple of weeks and they have been pretty good, these two occasions being the exception.

      Delete
  2. That double story unit on top of the apartment block looks a little like an afterthought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may from up here Victor, but it looks more conventional from ground level. I think the bulk of the building had to be reduced, from memory.

      Delete
  3. I know the old Elsternwick Post Office very well and have also stared at the Caulfield City Rifle Club in wonder. Why? Because this part of Glenhuntly Road is just around the corner from the Classic Cinema where the best films are shown each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, indeed it is near the wonderful Classic. The rifle club speaks to us of another time.

      Delete
  4. The More The Better sounds interesting.
    I'm curious about the Caulfield City Gun Club.
    A club just for guns? Do the owners drop them off and pick them up later? And what do they do there? Just bang around or do they learn how to club people with their butts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol River. They waltz together. The holes in the ceiling tell of them reaching a certainly level of excitement, and bang.

      Delete
    2. Best comment exchange, made me laugh out loud ..I don't LOL :))

      Delete
  5. Shame about the tram mess up..isn't it funny how we worry about visitor firs impressions..At the opening of our Christmas festival on Friday evening I knew my two new German blogger visitors were disappointed at the tardy start time...ah well, bet it's the same most places oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, my first impression of Paris was kilometre after kilometre of graffiti as we entered by Eurostar. It was not pretty. In that case, it did not matter too much. Germans do like punctuality, I think.

      Delete
  6. Ahh, lift attendants. Every time TO and I enter a lift with her mother, she wittily intones "men's department, going up, ladies' underwear, going down..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, very Are You Being Served. That was one benefit of lift attendants.

      Delete
    2. Err, I am bit slow. That is funny.

      Delete
  7. Maybe the spa's occupants are practicing exhibitionists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, they have no need to practice. They have made the grade.

      Delete
  8. No commonsense with that sign!
    I'd love to see the train thing for myself, looks splendid.

    ReplyDelete