Monday, November 18, 2013

Metro Muddles

You would think that a shuttle train that travels for only six stations could stay on time. Metro says no.

I was at Ashburton Station, slowly ambling to the platform, stopping in the middle of the tracks to take a photo when the pedestrian alarm sounded and shortly after the gates closed.

But this is not right. It is 1.14 and the train is not due until 1.23. Maybe I made a mistake with the times. We arrived at Camberwell Station where we had to transfer to another train to complete the journey. In my memory from when we used to sometimes catch the train from Burwood Station, it should only be a minute or two to wait. The announcement boomed out, next Flinders Street train in 12 minutes. Wtf is going on?

In the meantime another train from Alamein pulled in and disgorged its passengers, meaning a double load of Alamein line passengers to transfer to the Flinders Street train.

Once home, I checked the timetable and sure enough, the train I caught was late and had missed the connection to the city bound train and we had to wait for next one. Passengers were now twenty minutes later than they should have been.

Why on earth was a shuttle train running late in the middle of the day, Metro? Like why Sunday was there half an hour plus gap in the service at Port Melbourne with the 109 tram, Yarra Trams. And why Yarra Trams was the 9.42 67 tram at Elsternwick Station running so late on Friday night?

I used to catch the 69 tram (no sniggers please) from Balaclava to work, but then it was extended to the city and became route 16 and it became too unreliable. That was supposed to be an improvement to the service. I think it was a cost cutting measure.  Just as well I have a car and I don't have to depend on public transport to get to work. I now only use public transport in my leisure time.

If this sort of rubbish happened in Japan, you would see the transport minister bowing very deeply on the tv news and giving most humble apologies.

13 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to snigger..69 hehe :))) Sorry Andrew its late its been a busy day hahaha! Ok I'm done now! What the heck is going on with the trains there, you really need to sort them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, when I become Commissioner for Railways, I will sort it out properly.

      Delete
  2. I could have said you really need to get to the bottom of it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel comforted ! Taking a train here in Belgium is like Russian roulette ! You never know if it comes or not !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I hope the train from Amsterdam to Brussels is reliable as we will catch it next year to catch Eurostar.

      Delete
  4. Do you get to wear a hat if you're the commissioner of railways? I hope so.

    I'm glad I just have my little car to worry about, all this timetable business would hurt my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect as Commissioner, Fen. I can order my own hat. I enjoy torturing myself with timetables.

      Delete
  5. "I think it was a cost cutting measure"
    In my opinion cost cutting measures should be cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, invariably they such measures are a loss for the user.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KZ, without doubt there are too many people on earth, which is one reason why people in western countries feel threatened by high immigration.

      Delete