Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mash Up

I am very confused about this boat people business. Stop the boats, was the cry from the Abbott opposition. Now he is in power, the boats are stopping, as they do at this time of the year every year as the monsoons approach northern Australia.

But I suspect his real policy about the boats, and the policy is now in action, is stop the people hearing about the boats.

And then there was buying boats in Indonesia, so that people who transport those who want to claim refugee status in Australia to our shores, would not have access to boats. How many useless boats have we bought? Will they show on the balance sheet as an asset of almost worthless value? Will they be burnt? Will the Abbott government destroy Australia's assets, the bought boats?

Instead of buying boats from Indonesia, we are giving boats to Sri Lanka. We are bribing them. You stop the prospective refugees leaving Sri Lankan shores and you can have the old big boats we no longer want.

Confusing. I am all at sea. To corrupt a classic line, there is nothing quite as messy as boats.

One does have a good laugh about spying though. Apparently we spy on Indonesia. Who would have thought. In a state of high moral indignation, one of the most corrupt countries in the world lets its displeasure be known by not stopping boats. At least Indonesia doesn't spy on Australia. Yeah, right.

Change subject. I took no exercise today. I like walking but I did not walk far today. But around the world and especially in Melbourne, people were very active. As an aside, hats off to those who participated in the rally for action on Climate Change. Apparently our ex Prime Minister Howard is very doubtful about climate change. Howard is a clever man, but I think I would rather take notice of what climate scientists tell me. Unlike Howard, a friend of big business, climate scientists look at the science of climate change. Cheers to all who participated in climate change rallies around Australia today.

I took no exercise today. I walk at times for exercise but I am a pretty lazy person. 2,500 people ran up the stairs of our tallest building, the 88 storey Eureka building. Good on them. I think the winner did it in ten minutes.

14,000 runners passed The Highrise today, as they participated in the City to Sea run.

10,000 ran in the Run Geelong race today.

Our friend is in Penang for a week or so. He is in the company of a friend from Melbourne and some Malaysian friends, and today was the Penang Marathon race where 43,000 participants ran including at least two Melbourne guys, along the coast over the bridge to the mainland and back again and then back along the coast.

Jeez, I better do some exercise. Tomorrow. Well I am going to walk a few kilometres tomorrow, as I continue my Outer Circle Railway line walk, the third stage. The second stage will be online tomorrow morning.


10 comments:

  1. Since I got my 'Fitbit' it encourages me to take at least 10,000 steps a day.. its good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10,000 sounds like a lot Grace.

      Delete
  2. Yes, this post is a bit of a mash up, but that's what posts are for - saying what you feel, and sometimes starting up a dialogue.
    Well said about the boats.
    I'm a climate change sceptic, but we are definitely taking retrograde steps now towards more pollution and pollution is surely harmful. People who march on this issue have my respect.

    To quote someone wittier than I, I hide from exercise; I'm in the fitness protection program. What worries me is that I'm finding it harder to laugh at this witticism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, we have had spurts of exercise over the years, but never for long. We think walking is good and try to do that, but not often enough. Perhaps those who say exercise wears your body out more quickly will turn out to be correct.

      Delete
  3. I had a very 'unfitful' day yesterday. We were supposed to on a picnic but that was cancelled because it rained on and off the entire day.

    I spent the day on the lounge watching television, listening to radio, playing with the iPad and generally snoozing. I only left home once late in the day to collect a pizza.

    Not a great advertisement for healthy living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, as in my comment above, maybe it is a good thing to not wear your body out. Your genes aren't bad for a longish life. I think that counts more.

      Delete
  4. I think about going for walks, does that count?
    No?
    Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it hard to motivate yourself, but we should try.

      Delete
  5. ooh, politics, is Keating on tonight? Must remember...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, somebody is watching Dancing with the Stars and did not programme to record.

      Delete