Friday, November 08, 2013

Google Reader and its demise

I used to use Google Reader for catching up on blogs. As soon as you published it, it was there for me to read. It made it so easy to keep up with blogs without having to check each blog individually to see if the person had written something new. It also became useful for other things, such as when a new podcast had become available from different websites and there was a link included to download the podcast. I am voracious downloader of podcast.

Before Google Reader, I used Bloglines, at the suggestion of Tony. Thanks Tony.

Then Google Reader announced it was closing down. I looked at options. Feedly didn't seem too bad, but I had also heard about The Old Reader. It was closest to Google Reader and I really liked it. So did others. I transferred to it early, but as Google Reader closed, so did many and the site was overwhelmed as were the people who ran it. They struggled for a while and then admitted defeat.

A white knight stepped up to the crease with I think with a move to servers on a different continent and all seemed to be good. But then the transition did not go well. For several days it did not work. At times it would work and other times not. It was slow. It was clunky. But I stuck with it.

My faith was justified. It now works really well and I am amazed at what I can get on the internet for free, The Old Reader being one such thing.

I don't understand how Twitter can be launched on the stock market for a huge price when it has never made a profit, in fact monster losses. Not do I understand what sort of economic model The Old Reader uses. I don't see anything commercial about it. In fact it has kept its original homey style with this sort of message on the odd occasion now when it does not work.

Most probably we are deploying some new cool features right now. This might take a minute or two, so by the time you return from the kitchen with a sandwich we'll probably be back online.
If you are not hungry, you can spend some time looking at this random picture of a kitten. Our studies show that constantly refreshing the main page until you stop seeing kittens makes our deploys faster.

Last weekend when out for dinner I heard a track playing softly on the musak system. I became obsessed by it. I wanted to hear it properly. It was Billy Idol track. Once home and in bed with the notebook, I checked You Tube for the track and listened to it loudly through head phones. I normally don't approve of loud music, unless it is something I like. I have come to understand how the Google and You Tube make money. I went to update my phone apps today by going to the Google Play Store app on my phone, and there was an ad for a Billy Idol album.

Some may see it at intrusive. I don't, and I am quite happy with all this free stuff I get on the internet. I won't buy the Billy Idol album, but I don't mind it as a suggestion.

Hopefully, The Old Reader is back and working. But if it isn't now, it will be tomorrow. If it isn't then, there are still alternatives.

11 comments:

  1. I think I am still on google reader and it is still feeding me with blog updates. I'm obviously going to come a cropper one day soon when I will be pleading with fellow bloggers for their advise but as it aint broken yet I won't be looking to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I am surprised. I assumed it had gone. The link I used to use to read it disappeared. I hope it is left online.

      Delete
  2. Google Reader is still feeding me with blog updates as well. I read that the blogging updates are never to be affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I just don't understand. I could have stayed with it.

      Delete
  3. I'm reading this on google reader Andrew, long may it last !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will investigate further Grace.

      Delete
  4. What was the Billy Idol song?
    I read all the blogs listed on my side bar which shows each update, then I go to my "Favourites" column where I have bookmarked other blogs. Google reader is still there but I only go to that page when I've signed out from my page and need to sign back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you were surprised some years ago that I did not know White Wedding when I put the YT video up. That was it.

      Ah, you are very conversant with blogger. I am not aware of the favourites or the ability to add. Interesting.

      Delete
  5. I went with Feedly, it will do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite good too Fen. Did you know that Reader was still operational?

      Delete
    2. No, I had no idea. I just transferred everything and left. I really preferred Reader.

      Delete