Saturday, November 23, 2013

Christmas Cake

I have usually made our christmas cake(s) in the past. I am over it. R, with more spare time than I have is making it this year, with some suggestions from me. I know a bit about making cakes. I used to do it. R has bought brandy for the cake.

In years past I recall that the brandy bought for the christmas cake was drunk before the christmas cake was made and we had to buy another bottle. Tomorrow we are jointly making the cake. R has decided it will be a no icing cake. Huh, icing is the hard part, with marzipan and royal icing. Making the cake takes some time, but is quite easy.

I'll just have the one brandy before bed. There will be plenty left for the cake. Oh dear, such a sense of deja vu.

11 comments:

  1. I have sometimes had Christmas Cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soak the fruit in brandy overnight. Later, add ingredients and cook cake. While cake is still hot from oven, fill syringe with brandy and inject into cake. Repeat repeatedly. Make marzipan icing and throw it in the bin. If cake is dry, alternate between nibbles of cake and sips of brandy. Eat cake at every meal [three courses] until it is all gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, forgot about soaking the fruit and it is being made today. I will do it now and it will be ok by the afternoon.

      Delete
    2. FC cracks me up :))))

      Delete
  3. I found a good recipe on my blog, normally it's for Easter but what do a few months earlier matter: http://goo.gl/3hTZLi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, that would happen if we made the cake in the evening.

      Delete
  4. I once lived across the road from a couple who made their own cakes every year, for themselves and to give away to friends and family. The process was begun in October with fruit being soaked until November. Kept covered and stirred daily with more booze being added if necessary. Cakes were baked in November, with even more booze being added as per FruitCake's instructions and finally they were iced a week before Christmas. I'm told they were hugely popular, but we never got a taste as we had only lived there a few months then moved on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, October is the right time to make the cake and pudding. Ours today was a fail. We burnt it and it is dry. We have most of the ingredients, left over, and will make another.

      Delete
  5. Aimee makes a fabulous Christmas cake but I neither know or am interested in the details, I just eat it..often! She is the baker and I am the chef, it works well, or does until she moves into her own home after Christmas, then I will be an 'empty nester' how awful.. I may have to start blogging :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I hope you will still be motivated to walk once you are an empty nester. I would advise against blogging. No good can come from it.

      Delete