Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Travel Expenses

It is outrageous that business people can claim and rort expenses and claim tax credits and deductions for very dubious reasons. The notarised car hire lurk was a prime example.

But what would you expect when our politicians rort expenses, no less than our Prime Minister, the Abbott. I do believe that at times expenses could be a grey area, but in my mind and I think most peoples' minds, there is nothing grey about attending a wedding with tax payers picking up the cost. There is nothing grey about a politician attending a sporting event where he is a participant in the event. That relatively rich people charge the taxpayer down to 10 cents and they clearly aren't entitled for the expense redemption, is a disgrace.

I have no love for the sleazy Peter Slipper, but the duplicitous Abbott attended his wedding and charged it to the tax payer. No penalty for Abbott but Slipper is before the courts for misuse of taxi vouchers.

No Abbott. I will wear there are grey areas. but attending weddings or sports event as a competitor is not grey at all.

I struggle to remember John Cain as Premier of Victoria, but I was pleased to hear that in his desk he kept a book of postage stamps, paid for by him and for use for his personal mail.

10 comments:

  1. I fear it won't be long before the 'Abbottists' rue their choice, the man is an arrogant pig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly described Grace.

      Delete
  2. What can I add except "grrr"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, never is snouts in the trough more appropriate.

      Delete
  3. He will always be Abbott the rabbit to me in more ways than one.
    Merle... ........ ...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, and not a cute one.

      Delete
  4. I read about the Abbott wedding attendance, but in the same paragraph also read that he had repaid the money long before the election. who do I believe?
    Anyway; I believe that all rorts and perks should be immediately outlawed, they get paid enough money to be able to pay for stuff like plane fares, taxis, party attendance etc. Travel for work purposes should be allowed I suppose, but not all the 'extras" they seem to collect on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely River. Official business fine, otherwise they need to pay for themselves.

      Delete
  5. I've been listening to this in the last week or so and it makes me so angry. Seems there are quite a few pushing the envelope then quickly repaying when they think they are about to get found out. Makes me wonder about the expenses we don't find out about. Slipper was unlucky as his case was referred to police before he was given the option to repay. Whomever dobbed him in (and sources say it's someone 'big') had a big axe to grind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fen, they have proved that they cannot be trusted. Expenses need to be administered by an independent body.

    ReplyDelete