Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Mothers

Mother is 79, Step Mother is 73.

Mother, lousy cook Step Mother excellent cook.

Mother won't use public transport, Step Mother uses country trains.

Mother doesn't drive. Step Mother drives and has her own car and has speeding fines to prove it.

Mother does not have a mobile phone and would not have clue how to text. Step mother has a non smart mobile phone and uses it to call people and text.

Mother asks people to look at stuff on the net for her and print it out. Step Mother's first computer had Windows 3.1 operating system back in the 90s.

Mother uses disposable film cameras. Step Mother uses a digital camera and a digital camcorder.

Mother has a pretty garden. Step Mother has a functional garden that includes vegetables and fruit trees.

Mother can sew on a button. Step Mother has a sewing machine, a knitting machine and an overlocker and is competent in the use of them.

Mother never has enough money and says she does not receive enough money to budget. Step Mother has budgeted her whole life and lives very comfortably. Wedding reception in Rose Bay, Sydney and a holiday in Cairns this year.

Mother has never really worked a paid job. Step Mother worked most of her life, still working part time in her late sixties.

Mother moans about the costs of utilities, especially electricity. Step Mother has solar panels that generate income.

Mother doesn't read books or newspapers. Step Mother reads both.

Mother reads trash mags. Step Mother does not.

Mother is educated, Step Mother is not.

What can I say positive about Mother who is a such a hard work person along with all those underachievements?  Mother is friendly, charming, outgoing, vivacious and when Mother enters a room, people notice. She has great presence. Step Mother after meeting you might retire to her bedroom to read a book.

R loved Mother upon meeting her, as did she R. R was convinced Step Mother hated him when they met.

They are chalk and cheese yet I love them both dearly. Remarkably they share the same old fashioned first name.

16 comments:

  1. So, your father went from chalk to cheese (or vice versa). Given the cliche men marry women like their mothers I wonder which of the women, if either, resembled his mother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither Victor. His mother was an intellectual type and lived in a different world in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No driving, no public transport, no internet, no books, no newspapers...I was beginning to wonder what the heck Mother does with herself all day, then I see she reads trashy magazines. Fair enough. Have to say though, that I've looked at trashy magazines a time or two and they really only hold my attention for a few minutes and that's on the crossword page. I'd probably get on better with Step-Mother, after saying hello we could both go back to whichever book we are reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, she does her jobs, which I could do in half an hour but takes her three hours. She has always been slow because she is very fond of talking and is not good at doing two things at once. But don't underestimate her charms. She will be very interested in you and your life and she her memory for names, people and places is hot shot.

      Delete
  4. FC is nowhere near 70. Not a mother but often called something closely related to that word. Have not read a trashy mag since True Confessions was withdrawn from market. Can't cook, sew, or work out Windows 8. But I try, Andrew... I really, really try.

    Mostly, it's just nice to read that people have nice people in their lives - the other details are almost irrelevant.

    Mother in Law has hated every 'partner' TO ever had, so I did not take it personally. Some people want to think their children are not really gay themselves, just manipulated by evil, queer monsters. But, to be fair, she has softened remarkably over the years - possibly because I do not make her feel she has to "explain" me to anyone whose opinion matters.
    However, she has been and still is a loving mother to TO, which is a really, really good thing, n'est ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC is closer to 70 than I am. True Confessions was salacious and a great read. It was on Mother's reading list and as a teen, I found it quite arousing.

      Eventual acceptance seems quite common. I heard a Turkish Moslem lesbian woman on air whose family really struggled with her sexuality until she and her partner had a child. Ok, that is not us or you, but it was good to hear.

      Merde, un autre intervenant fran├žais sanglante.

      Delete
    2. It's already October, and you are looking good for the 2013 "Made Me Laugh Out Loudest" gong with that last comment, Andrew.

      Delete
    3. FC, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

      Delete
  5. We don't get to choose our parents but we get to choose how we love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salient words Michael. As we age, we learn they are not perfect.

      Delete
  6. Whilst reading your post I was doing a mental calculations about my attributes or not as the case may be. Now wondering what my children think of me. Maybe I need to write my own eulogy with strict instructions that my children may not contribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Fun60. You can't do that. I expect they will be grateful for their good education, the life skills you gave them, for a loving upbringing. But I reckon what they will most pleased about is that you were an independent and interesting person in your middle to older years.

      But if I have learnt nothing in life, I have learnt that if you bring children up with love, little else matters.

      Delete
  7. I love this Andrew. I love how they are both polar opposites yet you love them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, flippantly I will say, what choice do I have? They are both my mothers.

      Delete
  8. I love that they share a name but are opposites in most ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are different Fen. They tolerate each other now, but did not always.

      Delete