Friday, October 18, 2013

The dying Myki

I don't know how the subject arose, but R was incredulous when I told him his Myki would expire. Why, he asked. Just how it is, I replied. In a remarkable co-incidence, the following day this appeared in our email inbox.

Your myki card will soon expire

What you need to do to get your free replacement myki:

myki Replacement at a Staffed StationYou can now get a free on the spot replacement up to 60 days prior to the expiry of  your myki or if your myki has expired.

Simply visit a staffed station with your expired myki or soon to be expired myki and  they will provide you with a free replacement card of the same type. Your card will be linked to the replacement card, any balance will then be transferred instantly and your myki will be ready to be used straight away.

Your replacement myki will also be automatically registered to your account.

That sounds simple enough. Now I am wondering about the un-registered  Myki cards we have for visitors. I suppose one day they will just not work and it will be a matter of taking them to the station for the balance to be transferred to a new card. If I think of it, I will check at a check point to see when they do expire. It is not good having them for visitors if they won't work.

R has a vintage person's Myki, ouch R, don't hit me so hard, that were all issued around the same time, so I expect stations will be busier than a Sennalink office in the next couple of months. Oh yes, if you have to wait for an extra long time in a Sennalink office or on the phone to them, apparently they were busy with election work!!!

13 comments:

  1. I went to an office with a client, wait time - 2 hours! Eff that we both said and went to the Market instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fen, I heard of a case of a woman being in an office for a whole day, opening time at 8.30 till the door was opened for her to leave after closing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck is a Myki Card? I'm guessing it is like our Go Card for public transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have explained Diane, but yes, like your Go Card, only worse, I think.

      Delete
  4. All this is very nice if only I knew what a Myki Card is I only know Mickey Mouse. Go Cards I don't know either is that for Bus, train or tram ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all public transport Gattina, like London's Oyster Card.

      Delete
  5. Either that or they're off having a lobotomy Andrew, I think that's one of the requirements for working at 'Sennalink" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I dread that one day I will have to deal with them.

      Delete
  6. My only interaction with Centrelink to date occurred in 2006 when my mother went into a nursing home and as her 'guardian' I had to meet a Government requirement to provide every bit of information about her financial situation (which would already be known to the Tax Office) so that the Government could set its component of the nursing home tariff.

    This included completing a multi page form only marginally shorter than War and Peace.

    After that I never heard from them again apart from a letter every six months notifying me of the latest increase (always an increase; never a decrease or even a 'no change') to the Government tariff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, tax office and Centrelink are fully linked now, but I expect they might still ask for the same. Was it really 2006? My memory is not good.

      Delete
    2. Yes, she went into the home in January 2006 and passed away in March 2010.

      Delete
  7. Myki Cards, Go Cards, Oyster Cards, Metro Cards (ours), for heaven's sake, why can't they all just be called transport cards and be the same at least Nationwide if not world wide. I'm fairly sure our SA Metro Cards don't expire, you just keep topping them up at the recharge machines or online. Seniors like me ride free all weekend and between 9am and 3pm Mon.-Fri, but outside those Mon-Fri hours we still have to pay a reduced fare, so I top up online. It's really easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, how about they are called a ticket? I don't think anywhere else in Australia has free transport for seniors weekdays. That is pretty good.

      Delete