Saturday, October 19, 2013

The birthday

It was Sister's fault, but I got the blame. She suggested a picnic for my birthday. I imagined a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon, sitting outdoors, Little Jo playing, having a game of bocce or flying the kite if there was a breeze. Even as she mentioned it the previous weekend, the weather forecast was not good.

I gave R the perfect opportunity for him to say, I told you so. The fall back position was lunch out, with me suggesting the day before the beach cafe that was the old St Kilda Yacht Squadron building. I had no intention of going to a closed in pub for lunch.

For some reason Mother decided she would have lunch before she came. Then Sister decided they would have lunch first. The weather forecast did not change through the week. Ok, coffee and cake at the aforementioned place. Oh, have to do birthday cake and sing and have candles, mostly for Mother's benefit. Can't do that at the cafe. R decided we would have afternoon tea here and we went to shops, except we could not cross St Kilda Road because a marathon was being run, so we went to South Melbourne. I kept my mouth firmly closed as the goods mounted in the trolley for the afternoon tea, $50's worth, no less. Remember it was all my fault for suggesting a picnic, which I didn't.


It was a splendid afternoon tea and no one behaved like they had already eaten lunch. The food was devoured, the lamington sponge adorned with birthday candles was eaten, along with the Little Jo made and iced chocolate cup cakes. Nanny managed to drop her plate onto our unsullied new carpet, with a mix of chicken bones and chocolate mud cake crumbs. She was all ready to pick it up. Sister and I told her to freeze, while I went and got the vacuum cleaner. Funnily she did freeze, bent over to pick up the crumbs, and would not move out of the way. Little Jo insisted on a round of pin the tail on the donkey. Nanny won.


They had all gone by 4pm. Sister drove for 3.5 hours here and back to attend. I appreciated that. She only mentioned once about the driving time. Ah, we have to look after Little Jo next weekend while she cycles to Frankston from here and back again in the Round the Bay bike ride. For goodness sake, we said, get the train back. Bone Doctor is cycling from Geelong to the City via Queenscliff and the ferry.

I gave R a list of three books I would like, one of which I would like for him to buy for my birthday. A history of Flinders Street Station was a good choice. The railways had their own egg and poultry farm, and market garden at Noble Park, a fact I picked up as I flicked through it.  A total surprise, a book about trams, the funicular and trolley buses in Penang. I did not know Georgetown even had them. A large bottle of wine and their left over pounds sterling, (£4.90) from their visit earlier in the year, in a Tiffany Jewellery bag for us to use next year. A bunch of strelitziers? from our hair dresser friend and a very heavy decorative dish with a nice relief from Brighton Antique Dealer. Lots of cards too, of course.
 

Our friend in Japan's card arrived too today, with a nice cardboard sculpture, and the the promise of an ebook once it is published at the end of the month.
 

A bit stressful but not a bad day.

18 comments:

  1. Belated best wishes.......loved the dog card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good John. She is clever like that.

      Delete
  2. I notice that the card theme this year was firmly photographs of men. To distract from your age?

    Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I don't know their intention, but they did distract me.

      Delete
  3. The good old lamington sponge. I've made a few of those for birthdays myself. Filled with jam and cream toped with a swirl of cream along the centre then sprinkled with broken up Cadbury flake.
    That's odd about not being able to sing Happy Birthday in a cafe, was it a particularly posh place? Most places don't seem to mind.
    I actually laughed at Mother freezing in place like that. My kids used to do the same whenever a glass was dropped and broken. "Nobody move until I've swept up the glass".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is more trendy than posh. I don't like the public singing anyway. We only do it for Mother. Yes, very much like broken glass.

      Delete
  4. I usually find birthdays a chore. Though I don't mind cake, even if I do have to buy it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I find it a chore too.

      Delete
  5. The History of Flinders St was an inspired choice.

    Happy birthday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right, Hels. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Now I know why we go out to celebrate a birthday, less stress. I guess it is hard when catering for all ages. happy belated birthday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Yes, I saw Birthday Bear had another outing.

      Delete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many happy returns albeit belated. I find going out for a meal a lot less stressful and am delighted that singing Happy Birthday doesn't usually happen in a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun60. I find everything about birthdays stressful. I swear I will skip mine next year.

      Delete
  9. Bon anniversaire Andrew..Does that mean that you're a Libra like moi ? Oh la! I can't believe the carpet has had its first despoiling :) you just had to know it would be mother who did the deed!! I so agree about the birthday thing, I would looooove to just let them slip by, but that's never going to happen, not with my family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, yes I am a Libran and I am beautifully balanced. At least birthdays get the family together.

      Delete