Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Selctions

River will have her Sunday Selections up by now and Jackie often participates too. Here are a few of my random photos not used elsewhere.

Boring old Telstra workhole covers. 

Not as decorative as those found in New Zealand or Japan, but an improvement.

 Some animals tagged this very nice Prahran mural.The stocks for them, I say.

A city flower box. They are well maintained and the flowers are regularly changed.Watering lad is not unattractive.

Melbourne's Lord Mayor Doyle announced with great fanfare some sculptures to adorn the tram super stops in Swanston Street. So where are they? I think they are supposed to go where these bits of plywood sit at the bases of the poles. Note, car rego LM 000 parked at Crown this evening for a few hours, 16/10. Driver was patiently waiting for Lord Mayor to return from dinner or a function.

'What a pity my hotel burnt out. Now I will just have to put up some new apartments and make a mega profit. What else can I do?'

Drugs, lots of drugs for sale here. Each different pair of shoes indicates a type of drug available. Just say no to drugs, although at my age, take the drugs that are prescribed.

I think Mamma Vittoria's is famous. It opened in 1982.

A movable workers' lunch room? Lonsdale Street. I then caught a bus, which was a bit slower than the cable tram that used to run along Lonsdale Street.

No. 3/4 Queens Road. It is a lot easier to spot the supports for the globe than the supports for the globe at the National Gallery in Canberra.

What are these red flowering things? I have never noticed them before and I have seen three different lots this year.

Dual poles are all over Melbourne where trams run. New poles were put in where old ones were decaying and the tramway wires connected, but it seems electricity companies are not in a rush to move their wires or lights. I am speaking of years, not months.

I think this new pole was planted about February this year. It is already falling down, or maybe a car gave it a bump. A new pole has been erected.

Our rotating building notices are a mix of dire warnings and nice nudgements. It is quite a sad ass bird pictured and a most unlikely balcony invader.


15 comments:

  1. A few years back Sydney Council introduced smart poles which neatly handle everything from street signs to ceremonial banners as well as lights and wiring. They are comparatively tidy looking.

    Later the poles were the object of court case involving Eddy Obeid's son who sold these poles overseas - when he had no rights - making a nice profit for himself, of course. From memory Obeid Junior lost and was ordered to pay compensation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about Obeid the younger's shenanigans Victor. Lock up both father and son.

      Delete
  2. I think the 'lunchroom' is a 'sample' apartment for the viewing convenience of potential buyers.

    What a pity my hotel burnt out? What about a large paper factory not too far from the CBD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would have to be a lift FC and I I didn't see one.

      You aren't suggesting the paper factory fire......no, course not.

      Delete
  3. Those flower boxes are the best I've seen.
    Can you believe I was 55 before I knew that shoes thrown over wires indicated drugs were available "here"? And now I've learned that different styles of shoe means different drugs.
    I think the "lunchroom" is more likely to be the site office. Perhaps you could befriend a worker there and find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the boxes have been redone now in pale pinks.

      Many say the shoes over the wires is an urban myth. I don't know. I am even more doubtful about the different types of drugs.

      Befriend a site worker. I like it.

      Delete
  4. Or it could be as FC suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting variety of shots around Melbourne. Shame to see the graffiti on top of a mural. I thought that they had some respect for other artist and they don't usually paint over murals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, that is becoming increasingly not so. No honour among thieves. Sad.

      Delete
  6. Can't believe I'm seeing your Sunday pics ON Sunday :)) cool eclectic mix her Andrew.. Blimey, so that's what the shoes over the electricity lines mean..crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it seems a bit too obvious to law enforcers to be true about the shoes. I guess you have seen them in Perth.

      Delete
  7. These are amazing photos, and say so much about Melbourne. Your commentary made me think too - more corruption and official negligence than I knew about just looking at many of these seemingly innocent sightings. This could probably be worked into a really good article for a newspaper or magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, one thing in our favour, corruption remains at the big end of town and we citizens don't have to deal with it daily as people in many countries do. I think there is a good amount of negligence and incompetence.

      Delete
  8. I think the globe you snapped is by the same artist as the one in Canberra.

    I think the flowers are gymea lilies. They area natives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it looks like it may be his work, but in spite of ten minutes of searching, I can't confirm it. I have emailed him.

      I have heard of gymea lilies. Yes, that is them. Thanks.

      Delete