Friday, October 25, 2013

Sucked in by Audrey's Kitchen

Spoiler alert! I knew the recipes were simple. I knew she was attempting humour. I thought at times Audrey of Audrey's Kitchen went a bit far, such as when she said it is bad enough catering for vegetarians, just don't encourage them, or there is no such thing as attention food allergies in children. It is just bad parenting.

My much loved ABC publicises the show thus.

What I did not know is that Audrey is an Australian comedian pretending to be another version of Britain's Nigella Lawson. Although, I think Audrey despises Nigella, no doubt due to Audrey's husband's sudden interest in cooking and his obsession with watching Nigella's cooking shows late at night on his own.

Audrey has her own website, here.  It could do with some improvement.

While I did essentially think it was more about comedy than cooking, I really had no idea it was an Australian comedy show with the Australian accented actor Heidi Arena pretending to be English, and her fake accent is pretty good to my ears.

Audrey's Kitchen airs at 6.55pm Monday nights on ABC1. You can watch it on ABC's Iview too, unless you are a foreigner and don't pay Australian tax and therefore have no right to watch our tv shows.

Here is a 24 second promotional video.



I have no idea what Peanut Gallery is, but I found Audrey's appearance on the show quite amusing.



It seems there aren't full episodes of Audrey's Kitchen on You Tube, but here are a few lines from different episodes.



18 comments:

  1. I do think she is funny and a bit nasty, it could go two ways I could get very fond of her or get sick of her quickly, so I would watch her until I made up my mind.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I think it relies on a joke that can only work for so long.

      Delete
  2. Rather clever take on Nigella, but only as one, 1 minute sketch for me. I loathe cooking shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, you don't need lessons as you are an expert?

      Delete
    2. ROFLMAO. Would suggest you ask others for reviews of my expert culinary skills, but none have survived.

      Delete
    3. FC, I hope it is the reviews that have not survived, rather than those dined on your food.

      Delete
  3. What is it about Nigella's work that seduces men into watching cooking shows? Until five years ago my husband would not have known where our stove and oven were. Once Nigella came into our life, he
    a] taped all episodes of all her programmes, to watch again and again... and
    b] cooks every weekend for the family dinner (up to 12 people).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny Hels. I can understand her appeal but not the passion some seem to feel towards her.

      Delete
  4. Haven't watched the videos yet, but I can tell you that Peanut Gallery is audience.Just don't ask me why as I have no idea. Possibly something to do with audience members in the dress circle throwing peanuts onto the stage when they disliked an actor or skit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes River. The peanut gallery will remain silent. But I don't know about the tv show of that name.

      Delete
  5. She's a little heavy on the sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she goes further, River.

      Delete
  6. In a way I guess it was only a matter of time before someone made fun of the 'serious' cooking show, seriously between reality TV and cooking shows there's not much left..if it wasn't for Coronation St I'd totally get rid of Foxtel :)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, UKTV seems to be the only reason why we get Foxtel.

      Delete
  7. If you watched more 'bogan' commercial television (such as 'Thank God You're Here') you would have recognised the actress and realised immediately the true nature of the cooking show.

    I had a similar response the first time I saw an 'Alan Partridge' (Steve Coogan) interview show on Foxtel about 10 years ago. It took me nearly 30 minutes before it dawned on me I was watching actors performing in a clever comedy rather than a real interview/talk show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, here I was thinking I had discovered something few knew about.

      I have heard of the show you mention, but there is no time for Foxtel. It slowly dawns upon us that is not someone being a bit outrageous, but an actual comedy show.

      Delete
  8. I love Audrey Gordon... especially when the producer tries to interject with some sort of question or comment and she shuts him down.

    Heidi Arena was also on the ABC comedy The Librarians as wheelchair-bound Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TVAU, yes that is funny when the producer interjects as she always had a perfect dismissal line ready.

      I just disturbed my partner from his slumber, well crap tv watching in bed, and he immediately clicked that she was Dawn. I can't connect it though.

      Delete