Thursday, October 03, 2013

Phone Data Charge

I have a phone data pack of 250mb per month. It is adequate and costs $5 per month. I intended using my phone as a modem while travelling for my notebook and R's tablet. Clearly 250mb won't be enough. I used the Telstra mobile website to change it to 3gb for $30 two days in advance of us travelling.

Nothing happened.

The next day I rang and a very pleasant lass assured me she would change the plan and sent me a confirmation email.

We set off and still no apparent change. I rang again and a foreign sounding lad said he would fix it and it seems he did. So far as I could see, my plan had changed. We started to use data with the notepad and tablet. Not much initially, as we were in the company of a friend.

Yesterday I called Telstra to switch my data plan back to 250mb, and as I was talking to the lad, I received a text to say that it had been changed as I requested.

Today our phone bill arrived, with a charge of $183 for pay as you go data and that was only for a few days into our travels and I don't do pay as you go.

I wonder, should I spend half an hour on the phone to Telstra tomorrow? Should I pay and just wait for the next bill for it to be corrected, hopefully. Should I send and email with dates of change etc. I dunno. I will sleep on it.

Our normal phone bill is around $230 per month, land line with free rent, no call charges and free caller ID. Two mobiles, mine with the small data plan and paying the phones off at $20 per month for two years and 100gb of high speed cable broad band. I think I should press for a better deal. Nevertheless, our phone bill for this period should be no more than $255 with the increased data allowance for my mobile and not $426.

16 comments:

  1. My father was with AT&T for many years. I can't believe I'm saying this, but bring back the monopoly! (Well, not really...) But I have canceled our Vodafone service here in Spain three times in the last 7 months (we moved and changed service providers). They have ended our contract three times. They have continued to bill us each time. They have credited us each time and confirmed that, yes, we no longer have a contract with them. And then the billing starts all over again.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I will say 'bring back the monopoly'. It all worked better then. I can imagine your pain. Why is it so hard? It should be just all electronically programmed.

      Delete
    2. Mitchell, when I clicked the 'increase data allowance' button on my phone, I thought it was all automated. It is absurd.

      Delete
  2. We must have a different system, because I don't understand anything. I pay my phone calls on my mobile and to a different company for the landline (after 5 pm the calls are free in the country) and for internet and digital TV it's again another company. But everything works well. Nothing to complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we supposed get a better deal by having them all bundled up together. Sometime I am doubtful.

      Delete
  3. I say take your camping gear and set up camp in Telstra's main office and don't leave until you have it sorted. Take the GOOD coffee. Make it clear to them you are not budging until you have things cleared up. I bet they move quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, rather than spend half an hour on the phone, I have emailed them, which took less than ten minutes to write. I will keep your thoughts in mind.

      Delete
  4. Eff that, get onto it and give them hell. That's expensive. I pay $65 a month (I think) and have 1.5G data and shed loads for calls and sms's. I never come near using it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, our cable internet is for 100gb. The most we use is 40gb but it is a luxury to not have to worry about how much you download, and we are paying off our mobiles on the bill too.

      Still, I should ask what is best for us.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you should. They should be giving you a discount if you have all your stuff with them too.

      Delete
  5. Ahh Telstra you haven't changed since I left you.
    Merle......... ......... ........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merle, we are somewhat trapped with Telstra because of the cable internet. I won't have anything less than its speed, but one can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luckily AT&T sends me a text when I am approaching my data limit or else I would go over all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, they do that here, but there is often several hours to a one day lag.

      Delete
  8. Personally, I spell the name of that corporation "*******".
    As for emails about problems, can't say I have ever once had success no matter whom I have written to. [Perhaps this means I need to change my name by deed poll... not sure].

    ReplyDelete
  9. FC, they have these fine guarantees that they will respond within.......whatever. It will be sorted eventually. I did email them.

    ReplyDelete