Wednesday, October 02, 2013

My light is out

I get cross about many things. Probably I am cross about something every couple of hours. I get really cross about privatisation and or corporatisation of essential services. I get extra cross about public/private projects. The private company makes the profit and the government, that is us, takes the losses.

I googled 'report faulty street lamps Melbourne' and it seems there is not a central number for reporting. You need to know your city, and then if it is a council road or a state government road. If you can't do that, you need to know which power company is responsible for the maintenance of said street lamps.

All I want to do is report some faulty street lamps online. It really should not be so hard. That I want to tell them that there are three banks of lights out on major roads and have been for weeks, never mind our own street lamps in the lane behind our building being failed for months might be relevant too.

I blame ex state premier Kennett. He was a disgrace. As I have said in the past, bring back the SEC, State Electricity Commission (of Victoria).

8 comments:

  1. I might be wrong and at this time of night I'm not venturing outside to check but I think some (but not all) of the power poles in Sydney have a number attached to them to report failures. If I'm wrong then our governance in NSW is just as bad as yours in Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours may have too Victor, but I should think it is sufficient to give locations and I am talking of maybe a dozen lights in a row being out.

      Delete
  2. For street lamps the city is responsible. I don't even know which supplier they use. I just call the city hall, tell which lamp is not working and then they come after a while, or even right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that is how it should be. We should not need to know details.

      Delete
  3. Good luck. Spent far to many hours trying to find out how to contact this or that co about faulty products, or penetrate the fortress of some government body.

    Mr Bin Guardin is the only person I've ever met who has been able to pull strings, but I suspect you do not have the sociopathic personality it takes to get attention.

    If you can work out how the light problem inconveniences someone worth more than 2 billion big ones, perhaps you have a snowball's chance of getting things happening. Otherwise, make sure you always carry a flashlight when you venture out after dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, do you think they may have all had joint training classes with Sennalink staff? Mr Bin Guardin! That is so good.

      A flashlight? I may carry a torch, my wind up one.

      Delete
  4. I agree 150%. Put the utilities back under government management, privatisation has made it all too expensive. Too many people are having to choose between heating and eating, too many cannot afford to get faulty or non-working equipment repaired or replaced. As for street lamps, it would make more sense if the entire city was managed by a single company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, with the qualification that NSW power has not be privatised, but has had similar increases. I think the gov is fattening the pig for sale. Managed by a single company? Heresy. Apparently we consumers need choice.

      Delete