Monday, October 28, 2013

Matters ABC

With a slight edit for public consumption
To ABC Melbourne
CC to Australia Traffic Network.

I really wish the ATN traffic reporters for ABC Melbourne would not describe when a motorcyclist falls off their bike or is knocked off by a motor vehicle, as ‘a motorcyclist is down on the inbound lane...’. It sounds disrespectful towards someone who may be injured or dead, as if they were a pin knocked down by a bowling ball.

Signed
Murgatroyd  Willis-Smythe
North Balwyn

I really wish I had remembered to take this on our recent road trip holiday. It would have saved much scanning for ABC radio stations. A few days into our holiday I made a check online for some frequency details and wrote them down. To my surprise, Canberra does not have digital radio, so my digital radio was useless as soon as we left Melbourne, except for FM which it also receives. The car of course can get AM and FM, so we listened to a mix of local regional radio on AM and FM, News Radio and Radio National. Thank god at home we have ABC Melbourne as most of the ABC local regional radio stations were pretty ordinary, including Canberra. This list is quite old and may be out of date, but I think it would have been helpful.



What is not helpful is that Melbourne no longer has an ABC Shop after the GPO cleared its tenants out. We have to make do with an area within a commercial bookshop. I hope there are plans to re-open elsewhere.

I forget where I heard the broadcast but Ian Mannix, who I seem to recall was once boss of ABC Melbourne and now heads ABC Emergency, spoke about the effort that has gone into ABC Emergency. The ABC is Australia's prime source of information during disasters. He was very impressive and so much work, thought and studies have gone into planning for emergency broadcasting. ABC has its own emergency website, http://www.abc.net.au/news/emergency/ . I think the ABC costs each person about 11 cents per day now. By golly, we get good value for that. For three times the population, the BBC costs ten times as much.

11 comments:

  1. If you download the ABC Radio app on your smartphone (do you have one?) then you can get your local station anywhere you travel in the world. You can also get it online through your computer or lap top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I have the app but not the data allowance to allow me to use it when travelling and the same for notebook and tablet. I will certainly be using it in Europe where there is lot of free wifi.

      Delete
  2. My radio is always on ABC radio at home I never listen to the radio when travelling, if its in a car or train I try and sleep or chat to whoever will listen, in a plane I just sit still and hope for the best I'm not keen on planes.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I just like to keep in touch with things. We were in Japan when Julia became PM, the first time and if it wasn't for reading Australian newspapers on the net, I doubt we would have known.

      Delete
  3. 11 cents per day! That is good value. There's not much around these days that is good value. TV stations for instance. We have how many channels? 15 I think and still there isn't a dedicated sports channel, news channel (except SBS), movie channel, comedy channel...all the new channels just have a series of old programs on a loop for the 24 hours. Important (to who?) sports programs such as the footy grand final, get shown at the same time on several channels leaving the rest of us non-sports fans nothing to watch. I'm ranting again aren't I?
    I'm surprised at Canberra not having digital radio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, umpteen radio stations, several tv stations, ABC online, Radio Australia, ABC shops and more all cost less than it costs to run Channel 9. Not bad at all.

      There is ABC News 24 on tv, almost 24 hour news and Foxtel has a news channel.

      I am surprised at Canberra not having digital radio. It would be good for politicians to favourably view the ABC for providing it.

      Delete
  4. Of course, I had to look up ABC Melbourne to find out what it was. Sounds like a great deal to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Mitchell, I should have made that clear.

      Delete
    2. No need. Don't dumb things down for me. It's easy to look up what I don't know!

      Delete
  5. I agree Andrew that news readers (or their writers) should think more carefully how they word things and in which order they read them, it seems a little heartless for the newsreader to announce a tragic event with a smile remaining from the positive story previous..oh hang on that can't be right..they don't report the positive stories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, mostly they do a good job, but there are occasions when the expression does not match the story.

      Delete