Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Louder than a mouse

Can you hear/feel that noise, I asked R. Yes. It was something between noise and vibration throughout our apartment. This was when I was home for lunch. When I arrived home in the evening, it was still happening and seemed a bit worse. We managed to sleep in spite of the noise.

I peered over the balcony and I have never noticed the air con being on at the apartment below us. That is not to say it hasn't been on. I just had not noticed it being on. It did sound a bit noisy. I remarked about a strange noise on the balcony a few days ago to R.

When I came home the following day, I checked a few other floors and the noise seemed to be going right through the building and it was even worse. I called building manager who told me it was under investigation.  When I arrived home that evening, the noise had stopped.

It was  few days before I ran into the building manager to ask him what the noise was. I was correct, the air con unit below us. The owner had gone to Malaysia for three months and left the air con. Clearly something was wrong with it, bearings by the sound of it, hence the noise. The manager had the phone number of a friend of the person away and he rang her and she told him it was ok to turn the power off in the service room, which he did and the problem was fixed. He told me he had calls from residents from the 9th to the 18th floor about the matter, so you can imagine how bad it was.

It is quite weird that while we don't hear noises from other apartments, a simple faulty air con unit outside on a balcony affected over 100 people.

22 comments:

  1. Your neighbour has been spared a hefty bill too. Imagine the charge for running an air con non stop for three months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine it Victor? We pay it. Just kidding. But I think some people do.

      Delete
  2. The owner had gone to Malaysia for three months and left the air con on? What was he thinking? The minute a person leaves a room, he/she has to close the lights, heating, cooling, tv, shower ...everything. Even a child can learn that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She actually Hels. We are not extravagant at all with energy, in my opinion, but our bills are pretty high.

      Delete
  3. anything in the freezer will be ugly with all the power off.
    Everybody make a note now, before your summer trips, to turn off A/C before leaving (and the iron).
    x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I was trying to think of anything that might be an issue with the power off, and yes, the freezer. Maybe a friend has a key and can clean the freezer out before the rot sets in. Don't forget the stove hotplates.

      Delete
  4. That must have been annoying to say the least. Why would you go away and leave it on????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, we went away once and left our house front door open, not unlocked, but wide open. It was as my father was about to die, so we were a bit stressed. Maybe she was too.

      Delete
  5. I had a very brief job once in a testing booth checking the bearings in new motors before they were installed in the units. I defected so many the boss replaced me with the original girl. I promised myself I would never buy a portable air conditioner from that company.
    Faulty bearings have the potential to overheat and start fires, glad the super got that sorted out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the job may be done automatically now. A few years ago I heard that in Adelaide, they were testing a track side device that would automatically pick up faulty bearings on trains wheels as the trains went past.

      Delete
  6. Wow, amazing that something so relatively small caused such a ruckus. I'm glad it got sorted though, it would have driven me batty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fen, yes, it amazing that a faulty air con could affect so many. Early in our days here we used to get some sort of music bass reverb. But we could never track it down. I said to R, they will be tenants. It will only be for one year. I was correct.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting how sound travels in apartment buildings. We hear noises that sound like they're coming from next door or right above us, and they turn out to be coming from three floors away. Glad it was obvious to all where your problem was coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, whole subject on its own, how noise travels upwards.

      Delete
  9. Glad you were able to solve the mystery of what the sound was - would be eerie to be hearing that on Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, is today Halloween? I have seen some decorations around over the last week.

      Delete
    2. Oh I meant if it was still making that sound on Halloween. Today is Halloween over here. But by the time you read this it might be "tomorrow" over there haha.

      Delete
    3. No, it is still the same day. R asked me today when Halloween is, except he could not remember the word Halloween. We don't take much notice of it.

      Delete
  10. My tummy did a somersault at the thought of you leaning over your balcony :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly safe Grace. I worry more about concrete cancer and rusting steel balcony reinforcing.

      Delete
  11. The joys of apartment living. She's going to be popular when she get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, not sure if anything much will be said to her. The joys of apartment living are no Halloween door knocks

      Delete