Monday, September 02, 2013

What made me laugh

Well, it is case of what made me laugh that I can remember.

I made people laugh today, well yesterday. I arrived at work and with a bit of an audience around me, I was handed an envelope by work management. It was a $20 gift card because I am male and I was working on Father's Day. I proclaimed to the audience that I felt a little disingenuous taking it. Much amusement. I went on, I did try once but it wasn't my thing. You should have heard them laugh. Straight men are so easy to amuse. If it was an audience of gays, it would have more along the lines that I have tried really hard to produce a baby, but I have been unsuccessful. There would not have been much laughter. They would have heard it all before.

Mario said to me that I was very being very candid to say such a thing. Hmm, Mario. I remember when he started at work some ten or more years ago and a female workmate said, look at the way he holds a cigarette. He is so girly.

As I am inclined, I went off an a tangent before I even started to write this post.

I broke up today when listening to a podcast where someone was talking about a friend who had returned from Bali with some high quality knock off movie dvds. He said they were of blu ray standard and the sound quality superb, only broken by someone standing up in the cinema and walking out and this walking out person appeared in the movie, and a wtf moment happened to the viewers of the dvd. Ok, not so funny here, but it was when delivered by a comedian.

My grandmother did not watch much tv. My memories of 60s/70s tv is that there wasn't much to watch.  She did like to watch On the Buses and the Penthouse Club. At any double entendre, she would let out a little shriek and clap her hand over her mouth. I could see she was laughing but trying not to. The brilliant Mary Hardy on the Penthouse Club could always induce an extra loud shriek from Grandmother. The gene did not pass on to her daughter, Mother. Mother does not clap her hand her over her mouth at something funny and naughty, but maybe the gene has passed on to me.

I enjoy watching the brief Audrey's Kitchen on our ABC tv. Is she taking the piss out of Nigella? But I did have my own hand over my mouth laughter suppressing moment when I heard Audrey describing how to poach fruit. 'Keep pushing them down into the liquid, like you are drowning kittens'.

NB No kittens were killed in the production of this post or in Audrey's Kitchen, nevertheless, I am probably now hated by cat lovers.

22 comments:

  1. I was given a Fathers Day present at the Day Care Centre this week. It was handed to me with a wink and a chuckle and several of the elder residents asked what the joke was. Ah, the innocence of the aged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly your are not flamboyant enough, Victor.

      Delete
  2. when I run The Ministry Of Fear, the two parent days will be outlawed, as well as school class birthday parties (a parent of 3 schoolers, in classes of 20, has 60 gifts per year to buy wrap and card, not to mention the party drop off and pickup, and the return parties feeding and treating a total of 60).

    anyhow, don't knock the gifts, and won't someone think of the Sugar Daddies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Em Stacks. Am I reduced to Sugar Daddy status?

      Delete
  3. The header looks much better from my computer at work. Hmmmm. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It not bad on mine either Fen.

      Delete
  4. I do hope your Tuesday is MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday wasn't so bad Michael. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Nothing to watch in the 60s and 70s? yet myself and friends used to race home from school to turn the thing on and watch. There was Dr Who, Rin Tin Tin, Lassie which I hated, the Rolf Harris Show with those giant murals and the wobble board songs, a bit later in the evenings were McHale's Navy, On the Buses, that celebrity comedy show with people in squares making jokes, Goldie Hawn was in it but I don't remember what it was called. news programs, cartoons like Tom and Jerry, Top Cat, The Flintstones, and movies. Weekends had teen kids shows like Komotion and that other one I can't remember the name of. And of course the horse racing and football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right River. There was plenty to watch. Re Goldie Hawn, was it Laugh In? There was also the music show Go, I think with Ross D Wylie.

      Delete
    2. Aha! Go! I had Ross D Wylie's autograph once, from 1985, but it's probably been tossed out in one of my many declutterings.

      Delete
  6. Nothing makes me laugh these days. Life is either hopeless or tragic or filled with ill health (not my health, but rellies). Even tv does dramatic and tragic well, but comedic normally falls on its arse.

    Ok, one ad series is cute. CompareTheMeerkat.com.au!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Hels, you must find some humour in life, even if it is black humour. I took at look at the Meerkat site. Amusing.

      Delete
  7. I'll bet that kitten comment got a guffaw and then a gasp. I love the knock-off DVD story; I'm sure there would be people who WOULD actually have that wtf moment (I live with one of those).

    It's interesting how hilariously funny our comments are to many straight people when we would expect them to get just a twitter or smile. Who knew we could be so clever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, the kitten very much so. 'Did she really just say that?'

      Quite so about straights, especially men. Not only that, when they get to a certain age, they seem to hunger for affection and attention and a good laugh.

      Delete
  8. River left out The Monkees.
    and the Goldie Hawn show with the "people in squares making jokes' was the part of laugh in with the wall full of little windows like a human size advent calendar where one would fly open and the person would say "sock it to me" or "you bet your sweet bippy" in response to someone else.

    I took Audrey the cooks kitten remark to be implying that people who fuss over cooking are the types who would drown kittens. I loathe cooking shows. maggie & simon? blerk. that bloat with the cravat? double blerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot a lot of stuff, but I remember The Monkees now that you mention them. Loved it, it was so silly and funny.

      Delete
    2. Ann, I liked the unlikely couple of Maggie and Simone.

      Delete
  9. hahaha, drowning kittens. I will have to watch it. Sounds like my kind of humour.

    I confess, though I am a child of the 80s I watched a lot of 60s television as a child (because... well that's what was on TBH) and I loved it. Bewitched, Jennie, Get Smart, Mr Ed, Lucy Show, Partridge Family, Brady Bunch, Prisoner (I suppose it was more 80s), Gidget, Starsky and Hutch... oh I could go on... Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, I pretty well watched all of yours and the ones mentioned above. Now I can't remember the last time I watched an American tv show.

      Delete
  10. I think tv was better back then Andrew, the concept of reality tv wasn't a glimmer in anyone's eye back then, now, seriously..reality is overrated I want FANTASY :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simpler times Grace, better in retrospect I think. I tried to watch Lost in Space a couple of years ago. It was awful.

      Delete