Sunday, September 08, 2013

Sunday Selections

Check out River's Sunday Selection post, up an hour before mine.

The leaves just collapsed, but the flowers are fine. Good value for $6.


I had never seen a round avocado until we bought this one. Guess what it tastes like? Yep, an avocado.


What a fab hat I saw on tv, not only with a peacock feather, but a miniature  peacock.


Castrated lilies, that is the flowers' stamens cut out.


A splendid Moreton Bay Fig. They grow very well in Melbourne, although struggle when there is a drought.


It was a complete double rainbow with the dominant rainbow as close as I have ever seen one. Oh for that pot of gold.


Before I left for work I asked R to take the camera with him when he walked dog Jack.  It is a splendid magnolia, and R was not the only one there with a camera or just looking. Within a couple of weeks the flowers will be gone and it will just be a nondescript small tree. It's a nice house too. (Note, that was last Sunday, by Wednesday it was already spoiling badly. It will be all over red rover by the following Sunday)





15 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting Abbot.

    Let the madness begin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good magnolia tree in flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love magnolias but I think they need to invent some new colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mass of magnolias look fantastic because of the colour and the naturalness. But even a vase of cut flowers can look amazing ..just like a 17th century still life from the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed Michael. I there any room left where you are for a foreigner to live for three years?

    They are splendid Ad Rad, appreciated all the more because they are at their best so briefly.

    Fen, I reckon they are seen as too old fashioned for breeders to bother with. Blue would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hels, they do make a brilliant arrangement. I remember a friend's mother's magnolia we were admiring and she started snapping off branches left right and centre for us. They looked wonderful atop the piano. I believe they have some excellent specimens in the southern US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I bought a round avo the other day too. Weird colour I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a bit different colour M. I hadn't really noticed, being overwhelmed by its roundness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That rainbow picture is fantastic Andrew!! Hope you've had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never, ever seen a round avocado. Is it good value - more fruit around the stone? - or does the shape affect the taste?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I never! A round avocado, how bizarre.. Pass on my appreciation to R, those are some very fine captures of the magnolia tree, j'adore the first pic with the colonial looking building in background, tres joli!

    ReplyDelete
  12. p.s. did you say double time for painting..I'm soooo over it already and there's much more to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad the lilies were castrated, I didn't have to hold my breath while looking at it. Ha Ha. The magnolia is magnificent and the moreton bay figs too, I love them.
    We had a rainbow end in our back yard once when living in Sydney, but the pot of gold was at the other end dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. I think that is a Shepard avocado, the Hass are darker and pear shaped, the Shepard are round and look like a large lime. They have a shorter season than the Hass. I've sold quite a few in my years as checkout chook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keith, it was better in real life. I worked at the weekend. 'Nuff said.

    Jackie, good question. I think about the same.

    Grace, that is the synagogue you can see in my header. It is a grand building. You have the rest of your life to paint. Don't overdo it or rush.

    Hehe River. If if you are at the right end of the rainbow, there is the leprechaun to deal with. I think it must the avocado you describe. I think I like the Hass better.

    ReplyDelete