Saturday, September 14, 2013

Inner Circle The End (why there was a station in the middle of a park?)

When I reached the end of the Inner Circle line, I set off for St Georges Road to catch a tram back a couple of stops to walk the remaining section of line. This is a nice sports ground and what a wonderful grandstand.


Strange building. Is it an electric substation?


Around the other side its purpose became clear. It was for selling tickets. Ah. Suddenly everything meshed. It is the old Fitzroy football ground, home of the Fitzroy Football Club that went on to become the Brisbane Bears? Lions? Whatever, it was a shameful piece of football history. Now if you have a footy ground, people have to get there and that was a pretty good reason for the Inner Circle railway line to terminate at Fitzroy Station in the middle of park, right next to the ground.


Our State Government wants to build a road tunnel in the inner north of the city. While a tunnel sounds innocuous enough, getting cars into and out of tunnel will have a dreadful impact on inner northern suburbs and parkland. It might not be so bad if it was a clearly needed tunnel, but it is not and seems to be mainly to be to benefit freight companies with big trucks.


The fabulous old Fitzroy Post Office. I think it houses a bar now. I try really hard to be positive about modern architecture.


Somehow I missed the remains of North Carlton Station. Here is a photo from someone who had walked the same walk as I had, but without with commentary. Photo by Oliver Gigacz. I see peppercorns. Was that the peppercorn row in my last post and I missed the station remains?


New infrastructure by the mob who look after railway lines in our state in a place where there is a closed and nearly disappeared old railway line. There must be some important power cables for trains below the covers. There was an electric substation as I neared the operating railway line. Is this the one a power company want to upgrade but locals are protesting against?


Here we go. This is where the diversion from the Inner Circle line met with the mainline to the once Whittlesea line but now only South Morang. I don't trust Collie looking dogs much. They have a slightly wild look in their eyes. But I have not had problems with Collies. It is just their eyes that spook me a bit. Local community garden to the right, and of course railway power staunchions without a train line below them.


Tra la la la. I'm on a road to nowhere....


The connection heading south was closed down before 1910 and I don't think any of that piece exists now.


As I do, I just missed a train back to town at Rushall Station. You can see that at times the Merri Creek runs a banker. A good bit of rubbish was to be seen.


It looks a bit nicer upstream. I played a bit with my phone while surreptitiously checking out some of the local talent who had joined me on the Rushall Station platform. Actually, they were pretty plain, but it passed the time.


Well, that is a tick for the Inner Circle railway line. I enjoyed the wee project a lot. It is nothing like walking the Thames from the barriers to its rising, but it was very enjoyable. What shall I do next? Outer Circle railway line or perhaps Merri Creek?

9 comments:

  1. Interesting how the remnants of the old post offices are still identifiable because of the 'template' to which they once were designed. It's a similar situation with old bank buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a template Victor? It is quite different to the old Edgecliff Post Office?

      Delete
    2. That's true Andrew, but Edgecliff's former post office was not typical. I think there was a style going back to the 1940s that was widespread. Then in the 1960s they experimented with a 'modern' style.

      Delete
  2. Another lovely walking post, thank you :)

    I'd suggest doing the Merri Creek trail next, it's the right season to really enjoy the flora and fauna, tis an easy walk with plenty of architecture and views to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merri Creek it is then Jayne. Gardiners Creek might be interesting too.

      Delete
  3. I really like that grand old Post Office building. I don't even mind that it is used as a bar now, at least they didn't tear it down and build a modern monstrosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you and me both are not so keen on modern architecture.

      Delete
  4. Yes please... the Merri Creek next.

    The Fitzroy PO was a corker, and it's good the old footy club ticket windows? have been preserved - a monument to a community spirit that has been utterly ruined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I think it is terrible shame about the FFC. Did it have the most passionate supporters in the League? It seems like it if you read a bit about the history of the club.

      Delete