Thursday, September 26, 2013

Blogaversary 9 and how to blog

I consider I have a successful blog. I like it and the people who I know online and those who have become real life people.  The standard I have reached is that it pleases me. All over the net the question arises, how to write a successful blog. Kiddies, forget about it. Only old people blog.

While I love all my blog mates equally, I am especially fond of my 41ish year old female blog mates. Even when I was young, I liked older woman, just not in that way though. I don't know why. Are they the mother I always wanted? Dunno.

The 41ish year old women blog mates are incredibly wise in the ways of the world.  With their experience of the world and their knowledge, they could be quite bitter, but no, they are optimistic and get out there and do things, both literally and figuratively speaking.

Men may be the same, but generally they don't communicate as well as women do.

Ok, I am well on the way to a lot of waffle. Let me get it down in point form. I am not talking about blogs about specific matters, such as politics, but about personal blogs and how to have a successful one.

Rule one of blog is that you have to post. I am not saying daily, but often is best, more often than daily as I sometimes do, not so good. If you blog frequently initially and then later post occasionally, then you will be remembered if you put in some yards.

Rule two, you should enjoy reading your blog. If you don't understand that your blog is all about you, then forget it. Do you enjoy your life? Or even not enjoy it? Write about it. Some of what you write will click with people. Some of what you write won't.

Rule three, read other blogs, but read the ones that are kind of like yours. If you are not the intellectual type and you comment on someone's blog who is, the marriage of mutual reading may not happen. Yet, do push yourself a bit. People might be far smarter than you are, but they can still be very nice people.

Rule four, and this is the most important one, comment on other peoples blogs. You don't even need to have a blog to do this, yet you can become a blog person who does not have a blog. If you comment on other people's blogs, they will most likely 'check you out'. What you write may not be their taste and you may not pick them up as a reader of your blog, but I would hope they will appreciate your sincere comment on theirs. You made the comment on their blog in good faith.

Rule five is related to rule four. Do not sprinkle comments willy nilly on other people's blogs unless you genuinely like them and what they write or they are interesting to you.  I really hate people who make a couple of comments on my blog and I start reading theirs and commenting and then I am subsequently ignored.  It is bad form.

Rule six, when you comment on someone's blog and the blogger replies to everyone but you, that is not a hint but an obvious rejection. Some bloggers reply to all comments, such as I do for a first comment on a post, some don't reply at all, some reply via email, and some selectively reply, often only when a direct question is in a comment.  You may feel rejected, but look carefully at who the blogger replies to and why  before taking anything to heart.

Rule seven, you don't live with people who read your blog so feel free to wear your politics on your sleeve. At dinner last night, 07/09, our dyke friend and hairdresser friend confessed they had voted for The Abbott, Brighton Antique would have no doubt voted for him, possibly the late Dame M's Boarder did too, yet they are still our friends. Our best friend was a politician for our major conservative party.  All are very decent and caring people yet their politics are quite opposite to mine and R's. Let me just say they are a little misguided.

Rule eight, photos make your blog more interesting to read. How technically good your photos is not so important, but they should be relevant of course.

Rule nine, laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone. Use some humour when you write. If there is some genuine sadness if your life, then pour it all out in a small measure, but don't be a misery. There is always some joy to be found in life. Life is depressing enough at times. No one wants to read more depressing stuff regularly.

Rule ten, it is your blog. Write and post and see what happens. In spite of the rules above, it is your blog and have some fun. Stay being nice and the world will be nice back to you. If someone isn't, block them and get rid of them in whatever manner possible. Real life where you have to put up with crap is hard enough. Don't put up with it in the world of blog.

Rule 10a. Bloggers come and go. Don't take it to heart when bloggers who you felt a connection with disappear. They have their own lives and you only know about them insofar as what they write for public consumption. It is not a rejection of you.

Rule 10b. I wish I was really heartfelt about rule 10a. The day I stop feeling sadness when a blog mate disappears may well be the day I give it all up.

27 comments:

  1. Rule 11; never give up?

    Congratulations on the anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never give up? "Sorry folks, I am nearly dead and this will be my last....."

      Delete
  2. Pretty good advice only I like lots of pictures mainly because I'm not a writer and spelling is beyond me but I do like to read other peoples views it creates a bridge.
    Merle........ .............. .............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours has a good focus Merle, which is why I read it, aside from you being nice.

      Delete
  3. Many happy returns for 9 years, dearie!
    Good advice for blogging, also...if you lose your blogging mojo it will return at a later date and you can go back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, thanks. I have seen many who take a break or a rest and never return.

      Delete
  4. I like the advice here. I think it's really sound. I do not blog as frequently as some though - usually only once per week. But I visit blogs every single day and I love making friends from around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, it is so great too for learning about different parts of the world.

      Delete
  5. "Our best friend was a politician for our major conservative party. All are very decent and caring people yet their politics are quite opposite to mine and R's. Let me just say they are a little misguided".

    hmmm you have the patience of a saint. I can deal with people who disagree with me on food, clothing, music, religion, taste in architecture, methods of child rearing etc. But party politics are a no-go area. If they are conservative, they must agree to NOT discuss politics with me. There are enough other things to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that is pretty well how I deal with it. We don't talk politics.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on 9 years, Andrew, and thanks for all the chats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy your company FC, and especially your wisdom.

      Delete
  7. Good rules Andrew, I'm right there with you on 10b. congratulations on 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. It is people like yourself that keep me at it.

      Delete
  8. What a magnificent record of blog posting dear CameraFace. I have loved seeing your great photos and hearing about your social life, your hospitality, cooking, shopping, travel and your eventful weekends with family.
    Congratulations on 9 wonderful years. X X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. Now are you coming around for the Highrise photo slideshow of our holiday pics? No? Lucky you can see them online and click the x when you are tired of them.

      Delete
  9. Wow 9 years! I am taken aback. Occasionally I have to take a step back from blogging, otherwise I spend more time on the computer than living my life. I need to take a leaf out of your book Andrew as I am very poor at replying to comments although I always try to recipricate by visiting reader's blogs and making a comment there. But hey, nobody's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, it is a very fine balance between spending too much time on a computer and real life. For me, maybe the balance falls to the former, but I do still have a life, and my blog is part of it.

      Delete
  10. ooh happy blogiversary! I wish I posted more but I self censor waaay too much these days. I do enjoy reading your blog however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fen. Getting to know people like you is what makes blogging really worth while.

      Delete
    2. aw and thank you! :)
      We so need to have coffee some day, or chai...

      Delete
  11. Hi Andrew

    Happy Annivs, blog bro.

    xxx

    Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pants. Much good comes from blogging.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the 9 years.

    I love your rules. They're very insightful. I agree with everything, but especially 6. When someone replies to all comments except yours...how can it be anything but rejection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dina. Yes, and it can hurt like a real life rejection, maybe worse because it is not softened with vagueness or anything like that.

      I hope things are good with you.

      Delete
  13. Bon anniversaire Andrew and merci beaucoup for the many laughs you've given me at precisely the time I've desperately needed them :)) Gosh.. Nine years, that's mega impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. What on earth have I written about for nine years?

      Delete