Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Accommodation

Aside from staying at our friend's house for two night, we have stayed in three motels and one cabin in a caravan park. The cabin was a bit more comfortable in that there was more space and more privacy, but the motels have been ok. Each has its own quirks.

We decided to have a cheap holiday this year as we already had a bit of holiday when R's sister and bro-in-law were here and we have a big Euro river cruise next year. Generally we are paying $120 per night, $125 for the cabin.

The Blue Wren Mallacoota motel had a nice view of the water and lots of bird life, a little too much with one bird in particular starting at daylight with the same repetitive and monotonous call for hours. I will identify the bird once I am home and make sure it is not on an endangered species list and have it removed if it is. As I partly overheard a fellow guest saying to the manager, if the RSPCA knocks, you know what I have done. The bird wasn't even close by. Gee, it was only five or so days ago and I can barely remember it. If I don't remember it, there must have been little wrong. I think the couch was one of those really cheap 2.5 seaters that sank very low when you sat in it. Yes, we did see blue wrens.

The cabin in the Big Four NRMA Long Point Caravan Park in Merimbula was next and I can recall that a bit better and there was not anything really wrong with that. We got what we paid for. There were some stunning cabins with fantastic views; no doubt available if you paid enough.

The Alkira Motel in Cooma was the quirkiest. We have been breakfasting in our room with cereal and toasted bread or toasted English muffins, but here, we had to go and buy plastic bowls and plastic spoons for our cereal, and drink wine from a beaker. Just call us Liz (at least one person will get that). We checked in at 2.00pm and Desk Madame said the heating had just come on and as it was cold, we were grateful. Timer on the air con? No, the full central heating with a huge wall radiator and a smaller one in the bathroom below the towel rail. It did take time to heat up, but there was also an aircon unit to speed the room heating up. The central heating went off at about 8 in the morning and never came on again for the rest of our stay. Admittedly it was warmer and the air con kept the room warm enough. There weren't many other guests staying and when I arose on the second morning, I was convinced there was no hot water after running off a couple of hundred litres of water. R went to the bathroom and the hot water quickly arrived. What a long run through. I showered quickly after R before the water in the pipes cooled.

Canberra being Australia's capital city is a more expensive place to stay. We are not sure if we have made a mistake or not by staying at the Wallaby Motel in Queanbeyan. It is ok. I did most of the looking and booking but R booked this one over the phone. He was not fully informed of the prices, my fault, and managed to screw them down to $130 a night by quoting an internet price to them that was for a double and not a twin. Well, I thought he did but when we arrived, it was a double room. R went back to the office and got a twin for $130. Two blokes together might have indicated to the foreign born manager that we should have separate beds. There are other lots of two blokes staying here, some kind of trades people and I am sure they would want separate beds, and no, there is nothing to fantasize about them. I have never stayed in a place where the cups, kettle, toaster etc were stored in a cupboard beside the bed, but hey there are bowls and spoons and the tv is a great size and very good. It is quite warm here in our nations capital, so no heating is needed tonight, but therein is another story. Some places had no shampoo and conditioner, some no shower soap, this one had no bathroom soap, but there are wall mounted shampoo and conditioner dispensers.

We are not actually in our nation's capital. The Bitch could have been a little more user friendly, I think if I was a foreign visitor with The Bitch in control, it would be awful. Ok, Barton may not be in New South Wales, and Queanbeyan may not be in the Australian Capital Territory and I do actually know better, but I didn't realise it would make such a difference when searching. The Bitch said there is no such place as Queanbeyan in Canberra. She was technically correct and I should have known better. Queanbeyan is in New South Wales, not the Australian Capital Territory, ACT. Fortunately we had maps and Google phone maps were very helpful, once again.

In summary, our accommodation has been ok; what one would expect for what we paid.

15 comments:

  1. We did a road trip from Brissy to Melbourne staying in cabins all the way and we found them all to be quite good for the price. Sometimes we splashed out and got a deluxe model which are cheaper in off seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, although not this time, it is nice having a deck to sit out on.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever been to Cairns? I want to visit there if I ever come to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cairns is amazing! My brother and his wife moved there from NSW's Blue Mountains about 8 years ago - a big 'sea change'! They dislike the humidity, tho. But Cairns has everything, from doing it *all*, or just relaxing doing nothing under a tree on a long empty stretch of sand.

      Delete
    2. A couple of times Keith, but only in our winter. I could not bear the weather there in the summer. It is nice for a relaxing holiday but there is a bit to do too.

      Mal, it seems odd to move there when they don't like the humidity.

      Delete
  3. I repeat-ditch the bitch and go old fashioned.
    Some places don't provide cereal bowls because they have those individual cereal packets where you can open them along the centre and just pour the milk straight in, then you use the teaspoon you used for you coffee to eat with. I don't like that, I prefer separate bowls and spoons. I usually take my own soaps and shampoos, I really dislike washing myself with those tiny bars of soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I've been using a combination of both now. I don't trust the sat nav. I wasn't aware you could do that with the individual cereal packets. We always take our own soap too.

      Delete
    2. The ones that come in the 8 variety packs, they have a perforation across the middle of the box, so it opens there and you use it as the bowl. You have to open the seam on the inner (hopefully) liquid proof pouch. I've never tried it.

      Delete
    3. I remember the packets but I did not know they were milk proof.

      Delete
  4. We stayed at a $80/night cabin on Qld's Sunshine Coast about two weeks ago - brilliant! Clean, comfy, quiet, well contained, close to everything. I'd never been to that part of Qld before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mal, it is a long time since I have been there, but my partner has been more recently.

      Delete
  5. If you guys are sticking around over the weekend, I might see you in Canberra! Am heading up on Friday for a few days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope Ad Rad, we are home now, Thursday.

      Delete
  6. Caravan cabins always seemed good value to us, until the night of the big piss-up in a cabin next door. Tend to avoid them now unless the place is full enough to ensure I won't be the only one complaining.

    The whole spoons, plates and soap stuff varies wildly, doesn't it? We never leave home without basics like plastic bowls, cups, and a cuppla weetbix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, it has not happened to us, but I can well imagine. What a nightmare. Yes, it varies hugely. There is never one that has everything.

      Delete