Saturday, August 10, 2013

Youi v RACV

Our home contents insurance recently came up for renewal. I thought it was time to check around for a better premium. We mainly have insurance for water damage from apartments above. Our furniture is not worth much but new carpet and kitchens are expensive to replace.

I tried Youi insurance who advertise extensively. After an initial quote and then a question about what we now pay, they came back with a significantly lower quote. I was tempted but R was keen on staying with the trusted RACV. The Royal Automobile Association of Victoria is a motorist organisation and lobbies for better and safer roads. While that may seem like a motherhood statement, road building is taking money from desperately needed public transport.

Every time I have looked at alternatives to the RACV, and I have looked extensively, the combination of being long term members, having no claims, their road side car service etc etc makes them unbeatable on both service and price. Even though Youi's  house insurance was considerably cheaper, once the loss of the multiple policy discount for car insurance was taken into account as against Youii's car insurance and its multiple policy discount taken into account, it was just not worth the hassle of changing. Given R's trust of the RACV, it ended up being a no brainer.

I only know of Youi because of its extensive advertising on commercial tv, which I rarely watch and if I do, it is recorded and we zap through the ads. But still, Youi ads have gotten through to me.

Maybe it is the bloke who is the advertising front person? Initially I wondered why an insurance company would use a nerdy looking guy to advertise their product, but as time has gone on, I have grown rather fond of him. In fact I think he is a very sexy dude. It is the AAMI Jason factor. Jason was a hairy porker, but just so sweet and lovable. I was going to show you a photo of Jason as he should be all over the net, but he is not. I detect a conspiracy. Ok, I did eventually find one lousy photo on a blog, no doubt ripped from the commercial.


The Youi guy has grown on me. It was an interesting choice by the advertising company but for the long term, I think he was a good choice. Surprisingly there aren't too many photos of him around either.

17 comments:

  1. Yes, I have watched (the Sydney equivalent?) advertisements which feature the same man and they have struck a chord with me. They are a bit like that communications company whose advertisements feature a quite nice looking Irishman. Both companies I suspect do well with with the gay community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't think of the Irishman, Victor.

      Delete
    2. Obviously I don't know about your TV advertisements, but could the handsome Irishman be Craig Doyle? He's quite a popular TV person over here. Very easy on the eye I think.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Doyle

      Delete
    3. Craig, your Irishman is indeed easy on the eye but he is not our Irishman.

      Delete
    4. Quite nice Craig, and a bit of an all rounder, so to speak.

      Victor, not the ex boy band Irishman who is a tv judge?

      Delete
    5. No Andrew, not him either. I can't remember the company name - advertising fail! - but when I see the advertisement again I'll get back to you.

      Delete
  2. Which one is the top photo- Jason? Whoever he is, I'm buying what he's selling. And what is AAMI? The Australian association of masochists and Incontinents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Craig, Jason on top, I mean at the top. AAMI is an insurance company but I like your interpretation.

      Delete
  3. I got a quote from YOUI for my car and they were well above everyone else! I think I'm with the Australian Assoc. of Masochists and Inbreds! No wait, I'm with Allianz. Oh who knows. Someone takes money out of my account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about Youi car insurance Fen.

      Delete
  4. I've never bothered with household insurance. I should probably look into in now that I have a flat above mine, so there is potential for water damage or maybe fire. I've seen ads for the Australian Pensioners Insurance agency (APIA). I quite like the Youi ads, but I hate the Choosi ads, only for that silly sing song Choosi at the end of it. To me that is like fingernails down a blackboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you wouldn't have to pay for too much if a flood came from above, just personal stuff, so I don't think it would be worth your while.

      Delete
  5. oh I know what you mean. I was in the same boat a couple of years ago wanting to change my car insurance. Found cheaper alternatives (budget, etc) but it was the multi-policy and 'reliability' that had me signing up with RACV again. It's quite annoying that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is annoying M, but it is something that works for them.

      Delete
  6. We're the same Andrew, RAC members since goodness knows when :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I don't know what the other road side service companies are like, but they can't possibly have the coverage of the Auto Clubs.

      Delete