Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Selections

River's Sunday Selections are as reliably posted each Sunday as we are all so excited by the prospect of voting for our favourite candidates in the forthcoming Federal Election.

Dog Jack is staying with us for a couple or weeks. Two of us were in the car, so both seats were equally warm. Why do they always chose the driver's seat?


Jack says no to Aldi's Julius Gold, but yes to My Dog. He wouldn't eat for the first couple of days, which has never been a problem before. We changed to My Dog and he was fine then, perhaps because it had vegetables in it and he loves broccoli and cauliflower. Thoughts of vet bills and a twisted bowel did pass through my head. Or maybe he was fretting for his mummy.


Keeping with the animal theme, I have never seen a cat with these markings before. Wonder what it would look like as a stole.


A friend has budgies and they have been making little budgies that become big budgies. Getting a bit crowded.


The same friend has green thumbs and fingers too. He seems to be able to force things to grow quickly, but for mine I would rather see daphne grow more slowly and be more bushy.


We took Jack for a walk to his old stomping ground, Alma Park. The park is bisected by the Sandringham train line. It looks like there has been some recent track repairs.


It is a park to walk through on the way to somewhere and for dogs. You could not call it a beautiful park but it does have some grand old trees.


Window etching is the curse of the 21st century. To the stocks, I say.


A Magnolia Soulangeana beside St Francis' Church in the Elizabeth Street. I call it the slanger magnolia.


I suppose some people would not know what this is. It is new steamer as our old one broke. It folds out and sits in a saucepan of boiling water and you put whatever, usually vegetables for us, on the blades. This would be the fourth one we have had in about thirty years. The centre handle usually fails, probably from dishwasheritis.


21 comments:

  1. We are both dog sitting at the moment, no problem in feeding our Angus
    he will eat anything.
    Yes very unusual cat markings
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, our dogs used to gulp down their food, and then the cat food too if they could, and wait for anything that might fall from the bench during food preparation. A dog without a veracious appetite is not known by us until now.

      Delete
  2. Both of our steamers died, as they do. I don't know who did the shopping when they were replaced, but the report was the only available steamers were made of silicone. They don't "fan out" but are more like a floppy pancakes with legs, and have handles at the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I looked at those silicone ones. I don't remember any handles and they worked liked the metal ones.

      Delete
  3. Hi Andrew,

    The picture of the Sandringham rail line does not look like track repairs have been done... Rather it looks to me as if track repairs are required. I believe this is a 'mudhole', where the drainage of the balast is not working, and water / mud builds up under and around the sleepers, then when a train passes over it gets squeezed out and the softness of the ground allows the sleepers to move up and down.
    cheers,
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pippa, top marks to you. In real life it looked like a repair job. But when I looked at the photo, yes mudhole. Hehe, I thought no one would really know what it really was.

      Delete
  4. I have the same steamer! Except the handle on mine has a finger loop.
    That is an unusual cat marking, maybe you could take the photo to a pet shop or vet and find out what kind of cat he is.
    Any park with green and trees is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I had forgotten, but we had one in the past with a finger loop. I am thinking Fen might know about the cat.

      Delete
  5. I have that steamer.. Too!!! it works a wonder although I will have to leave my chair to work out what kind of handle it has. And, Oh My... do all those window scratchers use diamonds? Or are the windows made of something other than glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, you do have to make sure there is enough water in it. We have boiled a pot dry before.

      I think they use metal to etch. I really don't know.

      Delete
  6. Hi - found your blog via Sunday Selections/River.
    Love that the dog rejects Aldi food. I do too when my husband shops there :)
    I have one of those steamers but have never worked out how to use it. Is it supposed to sit on top of a pot or in it?
    Love the magnolia tree against the pink wall - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Jackie. The steamer sits inside the pot with water just below the steamers base so that the food is not touching the water. Some Aldi is ok. The has canned Aussie tomatoes there last week for $1 a can.

      Delete
  7. Was there a more risque blog posting earlier on or was that a spam blog posting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, there was. I hit publish instead of save. Within thirty seconds I pulled it back, but still it gets out there.

      Delete
  8. Love those beautiful birds...are those parakeets? Hope you're having a good weekend Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budgerigars, Keith. Or budgies for less formal. They are an Australian native but found all over the world. They make good pets.

      Delete
  9. The cat is a silver version of my cat - it's a Bengal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I thought Fen, you would know.

      Delete
    2. yes, you can always rely on me to be the mad cat lady :)

      Delete
  10. Even though its Monday evening I enjoyed your Sunday selection very much Andrew, both words and pics..I love those steamers, such a simple way to steam oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, and saves on having special steamer pots.

      Delete