Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday Selections

River will no doubt have her Sunday Selections up this Sunday.

Someone squished the moon a little and made it a funny colour.


You need to click on this one to see the odd vertical cloud.


Whose house was I in, I thought when I was looking at this photo. Then I remembered, Basement Books in town. From the corner of my eye, the fabric cat had me fooled.


Nice spot for a greenhouse. It is part of Flinders Street Station and I recall the roofing material appeared to be asbestos. I am not sure what all the junk there is about.


The ambos, sorry, paramedics are revolting.


When they save your life you wish they were exceptionally well paid. I would suggest that if they earn $93,000 a year, as the minister has suggested, then they are underpaid, because this includes penalty rates and a lot of overtime. Their base rate is much lower and their hours very anti social.


A less often snapped view of the western end of Flinders Street Station. I lay on the middle of Flinders Street to take this photo!!!


There are men down there and no way to get to them. I think there are only a couple of underground toilets left in Melbourne. I hope they cover them before they fill them in. I like the idea of them being an archaeological dig in the future, but what of interest could be found? Nothing but a penny in a coin slot.


I'm in South Yarra now. I have a life and cheap dishwasher powder at Big W was my focus. What a fine reuse of of an old tramway electricity substation. I wrote a bit about Le Louvre back here. The sale sign looks cheap and rather detracts.


Stop the cuts to our ABC. It needs bigger OB vans.


Should I have really spent $8 on this? It's a toenail clipper and the clipping part swivels. It does make cutting one's toenails somewhat easier but could be improved by having a detent at 45 and 90 degrees to stop it moving as you clip.


17 comments:

  1. A mixed bag of fun.The paramedics struck a chord with me. They should be paid more and given better hours and better appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I trust paramedics and nurses a little more than I trust doctors, who earn a heap more.

      Delete
  2. The paramedics do ridiculously long shifts and why should they not be paid well? They do a very important job. Unlike our pollies, who get paid well. Grrrr.

    Why are they filling in the toilets? I kinda think it's a shame. There are never enough public amenities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twelve hours at night Fen.

      I think the council would rather spend the money on electric toilets.

      Delete
  3. That's a fabulous shot of Flinders St Station! Did you really lie down for it? I rarely do that anymore, although I have got on my knees or sat down for a good angle.
    I agree about the paramedics pay, even though $93,000 seems like a lot of money to someone like me on less than $20,000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I did not lie down. But it looks like I might have. As I wrote the post, you and your income were on my mind. While I earn a good bit less than that, some of my workmates who hunt for money earn more.

      Delete
  4. Nice spot for a greenhouse? What a super idea. The city is sooooooooo over-built and under-green. But who owns Flinders Street Station and who makes the decisions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, ultimately the government owns all the infrastructure but palms off the responsibility to private companies. Southern Cross is a separate entity and a very strange set up.

      Delete
  5. The shot of Flinders St station is fab. Did people think you were a down and out laying in the street?
    I mourn the loss of Victorian underground conveniences. When kept well they were rather beautiful and hold quite a few memories from my youth :) They also hold a special memory from when Clive and I first met but I'm too much of a gentleman to tell more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, while I may resemble a down and out, I didn't actually lie down. Re you and Clive meeting, so we have one more thing in common!

      Delete
  6. you are a brave man for laying down on Flinders St.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, so sorry. I didn't. But hey, it looked like I did.

      Delete
    2. well - you just went from brave to smart! haha x

      Delete
  7. I am impressed with the moon shot and cloud photos. Really beautiful. Maybe Flinders street station could take a look at the High Line in New York where they have used a disused line and developed a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun60. It would be a small patch compared to the High Line, but I like the idea.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your Sunday selection Andrew, I agree on the covering up as opposed to demolishing is by far the better way to go for the underground toilets, who knows what they would think of them in 2099 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, my mind has wandered to how different a public toilet might be in 2099.

      Delete