Monday, July 22, 2013

News from the home front


I am in the middle of working ten days without a day off. Tiny bit grumpy, but I won't let it show. Nevertheless life goes on around me.

Our travel companions went to seminar last week about our Euro river cruise next year. We were invited but we both finished work too late to attend. People at the seminar were offered $500 off any listed cruise price. Our travel companions contacted our travel agent and managed to get $250 off each for themselves, even though they had already booked. We were not eligible as we did not attend. We are always such losers in the bargain stakes. 

Sister has her surgery tomorrow afternoon. It was going to be in the morning, but as she told me, her surgeon has a funeral to attend in the morning. I'm afraid I made the obvious inappropriate remark. Little Jo thanked R over the phone for posting down the programme from the show they saw, Room on a Broom, and her crystals, a couple of small stones, which she had left here. I had to buy the post bag for the crystals but no thanks for me. Sister didn't ask why the post bag had an Altona Post Office stamp on it. The reason for that will become evident this week. Sister has no faith in Bone Doctor's ability to keep their house somewhat tidy during her convalesce. There will be a cleaner hired. They have spent the weekend in Healseville in a motel, a last time away before the surgery.

R called Mother early last week with an offer to take her out to buy a new pair of shoes to replace her only going out shoes, which have a broken strap. Unfortunately the only place Mother can now buy shoes is in Glen Huntly, a 40 minute drive from her place, which would make it for R a fifty minute drive, two forty minute drives, and then another fifty minute drive. Her feet are wide and one is a size larger than the other. Only my mother.........  R doesn't have much money but he was prepared to pay for them and obviously I would give him half. I told him, just offer to pay half. Mother had other plans. She did her dying swan routine about her forthcoming electric bill, which is delayed because she changed electric companies and then changed back. I gave her $100 towards it and Sister gave her $500. But that has long gone. R made a huge mistake by saying, well, we won't see you sitting in the cold and dark. With my lips pursed and tightened, I said to R, we might. Mother decided the shoes can wait and had R take her around to various shops for bits and pieces.

Off to bed early for another day in the salt mines tomorrow.




8 comments:

  1. I'd be offering to get the strap fixed n the original shoes, much cheaper and just as effective. Many people have feet of different sizes. I have a 6 1/2 C left foot and a 6D right foot. I used to have to buy size 7 shoes to get the width I needed. Now I buy wide fitting shoes and sneakers in kid sizes from Athlete's Foot. They're not pretty, but they fit.
    Why give mother the money for the electric bill before she actually has the bill? That was a bad move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't know. The shoes are very old.

      The bill was due, so we gave her money. We did not know she had mucked up so badly, well the electric company has really. Noted for the future though.

      Delete
  2. I suppose the issue then is how worn the original shoes are. If they are still in good condition, I'd repair.
    Electric companies should be placed in stocks with baskets of rotten fruit ready for the public to throw. I say companies, because I don't know which particular individual in their hierarchy should get the treatment.
    Perhaps instead it should be the government persons who sold the govt. run companies to the private companies resulting in the current mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly who was responsible River. Start with the Premier of time.

      Delete
  3. The Imelda Marcos of Victoria? How often does she receive an electric bill? That seems like an awfully lot to be short. We have a monthly direct debit - same amount each month. Lighter summer use usually counters heavier winter use (gas and electric combined).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, every three months, as do we. I have just learnt that electric companies can only charge for the last nine months, so if she is lost in the system, it may not be a bad thing.

      Delete
  4. I have a client who will only go to a shoe store on Carlisle St. She thinks it's the best place ever, I think it's shabby and awful! I have different sized fat feet, always a joy to find shoes for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the one Fen. You are correct. Doesn't seem to be too many normal feet around.

      Delete