Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Berwick

A few Sundays ago before a family lunch at a hotel in Beaconsfield, I felt the need for a decent walk and as we had time before lunch, we decided to walk before lunch, but where? Admire the windows of Berwick shops? A walk along a country road? R said, isn't there a park in Berwick? A check with my best friend and there certainly is a park, the Wilson Botanic Park. Suddenly my best friend's mapping system relegated itself to being second best friend as there was no indication on the map as to how to enter the park. But my new best friend, Melways, had it all in clear detail.

What a discovery the park was. You probably have to be Australian and of a certain age to get, "Why wasn't I told?" My family should have told me about it. Mother later said she had been there once. It truly is a gem. Chainsaw Niece has even worked on a project there.

Near the office, staffed by a very pleasant and helpful volunteer.


This rose arbour will look fantastic by early summer.


A very formally constructed modern fountain. I hope you can see the spurty jets.


A big pond or a small lake.


What would be people have to complain about, if the local council didn't spend money on public art that no one gets. Old Farmer Dave reckons they coulda filled a coupla dozen road potholes for what the sculptures cost.


Lemon scented gums, with bark as smooth as the proverbial baby's bum. Note what looks like a cliff face behind the trees.


I think glass house #101 says something about a roof.


Across this larger lake is an amphitheatre.


It was just so pretty.


Around the other side at the amphitheatre.


What is this thing called love? Right at the edge only just visible in the soil was another similar structure. I surmised a road bridge once crossed the lake, even though it made no sense at all. Later I read the park guide pamphlet. Remember the earlier cliff face? It is the wall of an old quarry and this was part of a rock crushing plant within the quarry, the quarry now being the lake.


Time to go and we had not looked at the higher Bassalt Lake, either of the lookouts, the play area and more. What a treasure of a park and a credit to the City of Casey and the volunteers who help. We shall return.


21 comments:

  1. I must admit to knowing more about Berlin than Berwick, but it should remind me to get to love home first. The rose arbour is lovely and the smooth gums are stunning. But is there an indoor/outdoor coffee shop in the park?

    P.S I am writing this response from my overseas tour. So much for loving home first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have bad news for you. There is not coffee shop, however, the township of Berwick on a steep hill is quite picturesque and I am sure it has good coffee.

      Saving local stuff for your old age?

      Delete
    2. sigh Andrew

      I am in the USA. They have magnificent galleries, universities, stately homes and every other thing, but they cannot make a cup of espresso TO SAVE MY LIFE :((((

      Delete
    3. Teach them. Talk them through the step by step process until they get it right.

      Delete
    4. Hels, apparently the coffee in London isn't bad now.

      River, a friend who was visiting Thailand was frustrated at not being able to get a French salad, and so ordered all the ingredients to his table and made it himself.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely park Andrew and what a treat to find it. The weather looked to be glorious for exploring it. I particularly like the fountain and the modern sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, the weather was a bit chilly, but who cares when the sun is out. I am not anti modern art, but I understand why some people are.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I could ever tell you where Berwick is, even holding a map but that park looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, about forty minutes from the centre of town, it is not a huge effort. Choose a nice day.

      Delete
  4. Well you never know what you will find when you go looking and in the local area thats a bonus.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, there are very few areas where you can't find something of beauty.

      Delete
  5. My ex and I spent a lot of hot Summers days sitting in the shade chatting and snoozing in that park. It certainly has grown up nicely and looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, did you snog at the amphitheatre like the couple in the photo?

      Delete
  6. It's a very lovely park and I'd like to see more of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am determined to see the rose arbour at its peak.

      Delete
  7. yes indeed. as Dorrie Evans said every week "Why wasn't I told?"
    gorgeous photos as always HR.
    X X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. Remember how she used to get words wrong too.

      Delete
  8. Google maps has once again "shewn" me I have no sense of direction, but at least now I know where Berwick is.

    Nice place to visit, and it looks like 'twas a nice day anorl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, it is a place of my childhood, as we passed through it between our grandparents and the farm in Gippsland often. Also Ex Sis in Law was born and grew up there. Glad to have shewn you somewhere you are not familiar with.

      Delete
  9. 'Shewn' haha! FC! You'll definitely have to go back Andrew for many reasons, but mainly to take a shot of the rose arbour when it's in bloom, bet that will be a sight to see. Very nice bit of exploration work, merci beaucoup for taking us along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, fortunately it is on the way to Mother's, so not too difficult.

      Delete