Saturday, June 08, 2013

Never mind the cute local lad, it is all about nostalgia

It is not about Shannon who is more than just a pretty face, it is about what he has stuck on his tumblr. How sad are the photos of a closed kiddie amusement park.

But if you want a daily dose of really sad closed places to thoroughly depress you, subscribe to Abandonedography.

No tears were shed when our Wobbies World closed. I think it was a blessing from our lord.

This evening I asked our ex NT politician friend who is now a broadcaster on an older people's radio station, when will nursing homes and aged care places cease to have a piano and the residents will no longer sing It's a Long Way to Tipperary, and White Cliffs of Dover? He said in about fifty years. Just to note, while Golden Days Radio only broadcasts on FM radio airwaves, 95.7 and not digitally, it does stream over the net and has many overseas listeners.

At the age of 84, our friend's broadcasting receptionist died last week. We spoke to her on the phone a few times and R's sister spoke to her when she was here in March. She lived in the same East St Kilda street for her whole life. Her parents were married at St Mary's in Dandenong Road, she was christened in St Mary's, she married in St Mary's and her funeral was at St Mary's. She did venture outside St Kilda though, working for many years at the West Melbourne Telephone Exchange. She was nice to talk to on the phone when we called to gee up the call in ratings for our friend.

8 comments:

  1. Music is more specifically aged-based than any other activity, I think. We were listening to "it's my party" by Lesley Gore (1963) tonight and Joe and I remembered every note and every lyric. The children didn't even know what we were singing.

    No wonder Golden Days Radio and nursing homes love their music sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Hels. I know the words to It's My Party too.

      Delete
  2. I imagine in several years time there won't be anybody left that remembers the words to the old songs such as Tipperary etc. If a radio station could dedicate some time weekly or daily to play such songs, the old folks could continue to have sing-a-longs.that seems more desirable than just sitting in chairs mindlessly staring at TV screens or just gazing into space.
    Adelaide has an AM station, Cruise 1323, that plays old music mostly from the 70s and 80s. In all my years in Adelaide, in all the suburbs I've lived in, I have never been able to pick up AM radio, until here in Fullarton. I was quite surprised to find my old radio which I thought I'd donated and even more surprised to find it now picks up AM. I'm loving the old music.
    I looked at the links there and the abandoned amusement park is quite sad, on the other hand Abandonedography is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, playing older music is exactly what Golden Days does. If you connection is up to speed, you can listen online anytime and anywhere.

      Now let's think this through. They were war songs. The war ended 68 years ago. They really should be leaving living memory behind by now. Yet, you, myself and most of my blog mates could sing along to both, so I think my friend might be right. It will be a long time until they disappear from the nursing home environment.

      I couldn't live without AM Radio, even though I listen to it via digital now.

      Delete
  3. I love abandoned stuff photography. There is one I follow, let me see if I can remember the link (never bookmarked it stupidly)

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sven-Fennema-Photography-public-profile/132539526756620

    He has lots of pics all over the place, but it's easy to scroll through on FB. I've been following his stuff for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fen, I will take a look.

      Delete
  4. 'It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, you'd cry too if it happened to you' hahaha!
    Sorry to hear about Wobbies World Andrew, but you'll always have your memories :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was buzzing around in my head yesterday Grace. The memories of WW aren't so bad.

      Delete