Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lighting our lives Pt 1

I'm sure I've used that title before and ages ago I posted photos of our lamps, but many have changed, so along with a request to see them and some doubt that there are nine, here we go.

I cropped this one to remove the 'huge bodied Jack' from the photo. The glass one has a 40w halogen clear bulb for the sparkle effect and the standard two 40w frosted halogen bulbs.


 Closer.



The tortoise lamp has a 15w incandescent oven light.


The salt lamp, a gift to us, also has a 15w incandescent oven light.


These just brighten what was a dark corner. LED, so minimal electricity. All of the above and the one below are controlled via a powerboard with a remote control.


This one has two unusual 25w frosted halogen bulbs. They have a wide base and are expensive to buy. We replaced the original 40w bulbs with 25w but it was still too bright. We wrapped silver foil around cut cardboard paper towel rolls and stood them behind the free swinging drop chains around the bulbs, and it is perfect.


The desk lamp, boring but functional, with a 40w frosted incandescent downlight bulb. Rarely used.


Standard lamp with a long halogen bulb of a huge wattage but the lamp is seldom turned up more than half way. The lower lamp is a clear 40w halogen bulb of the same type as the chain lamp above. The lower lamp is rarely used.


This a a LED light gives an uplight behind the tv onto the wall and the picture that sits above the tv. Is that nine yet? You may as well see the rest of our lights. They will come in Pt2.

21 comments:

  1. You're a boy after my own heart Andrew! I'm never happier than when I'm in a lighting shop. We too have many lamps and the electric bill to prove it. My favourite is the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Craig, the tortoise is very cute. If our place was a couple of years newer, it would have masses of power hungry halogens in the ceilings, so I don't feel too bad about a few lamps

      Delete
  2. Your desk lamp, now boring but functional, first appeared in designs by my Bauhaus designers in the 1920s. Bauhaus was closed down and the designers were expelled from Berlin in 1933, so they must have been doing something radical and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Hels. What an interesting connection. Too radical for a pipsqueak with a silly moustache.

      Delete
  3. Nice lamps. The tortoise is cute. I really love the salt lamp. I have a desk lamp which is rarely used too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the salt lamp weighs an absolute ton. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Andrew

    Have a look at the Wilhelm Wagenfeld lamp of 1925
    http://www.tecnolumen.com/12/
    and the Christian Dell lamp of 1926
    http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/337374

    modern, dashing, sleek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the second one Hels.

      Delete
  5. We have the same lamp besides the TV ! Love the little turtle lamp !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one Gattina? Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I'm a fan of the lamp also Andrew, I just counted ten around the house :) I like the glass lamp in the first shot very much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, excellent taste. It is my fave. It needs cleaning. It is heavy and the glass is sharp. I usually put in the the trough and brush it over with hot soapy water. Then it sparkles.

      Delete
  7. You are all lit up like a Christmas tree. It makes our one standard lamp look insignificant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet Diane, yet it is not so bright. Pretty hard to read by.

      Delete
  8. Man that is an awesome variety of lamps! I personall love that turtle lamp. That's one of the most unique things I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, clearly it is the popular vote.

      Delete
  9. I won't post pics of the lights I have inherited in my new apartment. They are like something out of Phantom of the Opera and will be replaced in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't wait too long Victor. Flattering light is essential once you reach a certain age.

      Delete
    2. Oh Andrew, how cruel you can be!

      Delete
  10. Diversity is lighting is certainly a good thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I am rather fond of diversity, in its many forms ;)

      Delete