Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lighting our life Pt 2

You may as well see the rest of our lighting. Two 15w oven lamps in the range hood.


Both the bathroom and the ensuite have the same lighting, with one 50w halogen above the basin and mirror and a more conventional downlight which when turned on also turns on the exhaust fan unit which extracts air from the bathroom, toilet and ensuite. The exhaust fan motor is above the trapdoor with silver tubing leading to each inlet and the outlet on the balcony. The downlight is a 25w fluoro bulb, although my ensuite has an incandescent 100w bulb. I hate the slow warm up period of fluoros. The toilet has only the large downlight.


Overhead lounge lighting. The one above the dining table closest has two 100w frosted incandescent bulbs, the lounge one, two 40w frosted incandescent.  They are on a dimmer switch but the lights are rarely used.

 
 
Bedside touch lamps for R's and the spare bedroom. R's was similar but round before it was smashed when we were moving furniture for carpet replacement.


Two smaller versions of the lounge rooms light the connecting area between bedrooms, bathroom and lounge. One 100w clear incandescent in each.


When the fans were installed in the bedrooms, they came with their own lights. They are 20w fluoro tubes and again, miserably slow to light up properly. Previously they were the same as the hallway lights.


The kitchen has one 20w circular fluoro and two 50w halogen downlights. The fluoro does not get a lot of use, but the downlights are always on at night, and often during the day.


The balcony light. Why do we need a nautical styled light? 100w clear incandescent.


My bedside lamp. For reading, the flaps open and light is projected out, otherwise, the lighting is quite soft, and god knows, I need soft lighting.

11 comments:

  1. When will you be opening this lighting extravaganza to the public?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, a witty reply eludes me. I'll just say I become outraged when I see a street light out for more than a couple of weeks, or mismatched light bulbs in a fitting(s).

      Delete
  2. You have lots of lights.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, most of which give a flattering light to ageing people. The ones that don't, don't get turned on.

      Delete
  3. I was thinking I don't really need to finish this post as I probably have seen every thing I would wish to see about your and R's lighting and then I saw R's bedside digital clock. I like the slimline look of it. Is it also a radio? If so, can you tell me the brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it did seem like a good idea when I started the post but yes, somewhat dull. The clock radio is a Phillips, bought for him for his birthday about four years ago. It was on special and I've never seen another the same. I would not have minded the same for myself when I bought mine, but it is not digital.

      Delete
  4. I like your bedside lamps quite a lot. And R has the same TV remote unit that I have. Your range hood looks similar too, except the light doesn't work in mine, never has, and now the fan doesn't operate either. I could call maintenance again, but after several minutes of press 1 for this or 2 for that etc, then almost half an hour on hold, I gave up. I like the idea of ceiling fans in the bedrooms, any room really. So much better than trying to find a place to put a pedestal fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I had to check which remote, as I only use them if something goes wrong. I would guess you tv is a Samsung too. Perhaps you wait until you have a list of things to call about. If it is just the bulb in the range hood, it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself. The fans are brilliant, just have them on low at night and you don't need any air con. How are going with the dryer filter puzzle btw? Still taped up?

      Delete
    2. Dryer is fixed, son-in-law dropped in and put it back together, they have the same dryer so he knew how the pieces fit.

      Delete
  5. I think we are almost as one Andrew. I can't stand a lighting fixture missing a bulb and they usually blow at the most inconvenient moment - just as company is about to arrive! I always have a stack of replacement bulbs in each size and wattage we need.
    I also can't abide fluro lights. In our kitchen remodel we put in 17 LED spots but you have to be careful as many LED bulbs offer a cold "blue" light. These were brand new and have a gorgeous, wonderful "warm white". They were £18 each (!) but will last for more then 10 years apparently. They also use 5W rather than 50W. In about 5 years we may be ahead financially...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like it Craig. Eg "Building manager, I know you only replace globes on weekdays, but I have my family coming and one of the lights on our landing has gone out. Do you think you could possibly replace it today?" It was Saturday and he did. He is quite hot if you like guys slightly tinted and I can think of ways I like to thank him.

      Funnily, we investigated replacing the four halogen downlights, kitchen, bathroom and ensuite, with LED lights. The price you paid sounds like what we would pay. R wanted to try one, but I suggested we wait until we have to replace one bulb. Given the bathroom ones are about 15 years old, it might be a while. If you have the glass cover on halogens, they seem to last much longer. The kitchen ones, without glass, have been replaced a couple of times. As for spare lights, wait and see.

      Delete