Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Just another Swedish Sunday

It started with the back lamp of our tv failing to proceed last night. It is an Ikea lamp and probably not replaceable with parts. I scrounged around under the tv cabinet and eventually found the plug, which was also the transformer. I was being very careful as to not strain any body muscle. The transformer was so hot. Ok, failed product.

Some years ago after a terrible Highrise argument with slamming doors, loud voices and going off somewhere without telling the other person where, an Ikea chair appeared in R's bedroom  and a new lamp behind the tv. The chair survives, the lamp has not.

Today D retweeted a link to Stockholm train drivers who are not allowed to wear shorts to work and so are wearing skirts while they are driving their trains. The driver's have lined up for their skirt issue and management has no problem with their male drivers wearing skirts. Skirts are official uniform. Shorts are not.

I sent the tale onto J via Twitter as he is a Swedophile and I thought it might amuse him. I expect I should have personally retweeted it, but I am not too crash hot at twittering.

The lamp had to be replaced, so R wanted to visit to Swedish furniture shop. I reluctantly agreed. We followed the arrows from beginning to end and did buy a suitable replacement lamp, along with some flexible tubing that covers your ugly computer wires and some new drinking glasses.

R's Sister was somewhat estranged from her son, but the son did ask his mother to his wedding. She and her her present husband attended and things are slowly coming back together. Now her son has bred a child by the name of Audrey. Isn't that just such a fab name.

Audrey is a special name for Melburnians  as Little Audrey of the neon Skipping Girl Vinegar sign is dear to us. She has even been mentioned in a couple of popular songs. I took the opportunity to take a snap or two while were visiting the big Swedish store. I've never taken a night time photo of her, but there is a good one to be seen here.

Technically, she should be Audrey of Abbottsford, not Richmond, but everyone thinks of the area as Richmond.


This is not the original sign. The original was installed in 1936 and was Australia's first animated neon sign.


I get panicky in Ikea if I can't see an arrow on the floor. I would have to decide myself about which direction to walk. We looked at some bits of furniture in the store, but as I very wisely said to R, the trouble with Ikea furniture is that is looks like Ikea furniture.


We have had a set of the glasses on the right for many years. I use them for wine and whiskey as they are not easily knocked over or broken, but they are tired. Ikea had a set of tumblers for, well we weren't sure. The label said $6 but is that each or for the set. Surely not $1 per glass. We decided to take them and leave them at the counter if they were $36. Nope, $6 for the set. Were the shipped from China to Sweden and then Australia?

19 comments:

  1. Really Andrew, a SET of tumblers, in a box labelled $6, is $6. If the glasses were priced individually, they wouldn't be in SET boxes. And not all IKEA furniture looks like cheap flat-pack stuff. Not to my eyes anyway. Perhaps I should roam around some high-end high-priced stores and see the difference. I'm curious now about the flexible tubing to cover the computer wires, I don't recall seeing that the last time I was at IKEA. I'll have to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. River, they were just too cheap and that stopped my logic working. Four lounge suites ago, our suite came from Ikea and we liked that very much, but it wore out quite quickly. We do our fair share of flatpack here, but mostly from Freedom. I'll put up a photo of the tubing when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are good glasses we have some for many years but I have always had trouble with their lamps I had one that was always very hot and one that shattered so I don't buy them there now
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I am pleased about the glasses then. Plus, their lights often have weird globes which I expect you can only buy at Ikea.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same as you about Ikea stuff but we still manage to buy stuff there somehow. A cot which has only been used for two weeks. That was a good deal on the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it is pretty rare to come out of Ikea empty handed.

      Delete
  5. I rarely give lectures about far northern Europe because I know far more about France, Britain, Italy, Germany etc. But one year I presented a course on The History of Design in Scandinavia. It was a brilliant subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Hels, they are renown for their design skils, especially simplicity and good function, but I don't necessarily like their designs.

      Delete
  6. Singaporeans treat Ikea with disdain, pretty much the same way Aussies baulk at Freedom but we like their fried chicken wings and meatballs.
    The stores (2) in Singapore makes almost 40% of their profit from the restaurant alone!
    By the way, there is usually a short cut to circumvent the lengthy maze around the store.
    Just keep your eyes open. It would not be indicated but most people who know the layout just bypass most of the cheap temptations but missing out of the bedsheets/pillows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I don't think we baulk at Freedom more than Ikea. I have never tried their food, but the eating area looked very full on Sunday. Sister says the meatballs are wonderful. I noted that they had a really cheap breakfast too. Yes, I do know about the shortcuts, but I don't go often, so when I do, I don't mind doing the circuit. I think there are a couple of store maps around which show the shortcuts.

      Delete
    2. there was a hooha just recently about the meatballs containing horsemeat tho I think that was just contained to the euro zone.

      Delete
    3. Ian, I think so, just Euro area. I did recall that when writing about meatballs. But nothing wrong with horsemeat, I suppose.

      Delete
  7. I've learnt to purchase things from Ikea, on the rare occasion I want do so, when I see the items rather than return later for the purchase. This was after I saw clothes hangers which I deliberated on buying but only confirmed that intention after departing the store. I returned to the store and attempted to get to where I thought the hangers were located by walking back from the cashier point; ie against the arrows. I thought I knew exactly where I had seen those hangers but I was wrong and eventually got into a panic when I realised I must have gone well past their location. It often seems a fun idea to visit Ikea but almost always I regret doing so once I'm in there with the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it is too horrid when you later say, I wish I had bought them when I saw them. Crowds, oh yes their were crowds, and lots of young kids, but of course young kids come with cute daddies.

      Delete
  8. I have some ikea stuff, I don't mind it at all. Now that the lovely Springvale store is open it's just up the road for me. I usually skip the arrow section and just head backwards to the big hall bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both stores would be about the same distance from you Fen? But I expect the Springy one is easier driving.

      Delete
    2. Springy is 15 minutes. 30 mins to Richmond. Much less of a headache going to Springvale.

      Delete
  9. Yes there are definitely bargains to be found in Ikea, it's just that panicky feeling that when you choose your bargain you might never get out of there to enjoy it! It scares me haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if you pick up something early in your visit Grace.

      Delete