Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Doctor's Advice

Bone Doctor is working as a GP at the moment. Sorry, General Practitioner, your family type doctor. The local ladies who wear sensible shoes are queuing up for her to do their pap smears. I have no knowledge of what that is all about and I have no desire to know.

A press story broke in her local news about our negligent hospital and medical system and how it failed a child and the parents. But all is not how it seems, rather different to how it was reported in the local newspapers. Yes, medical systems in Australia do fail. You have to look no further than blogger Therese Mackay and read her book to see how our medical system can really go horribly wrong with a tragic outcome. But in this case, it would not have if the parents followed Bone Doctor's recommendation when she saw the child. BD could not diagnose but suspected and advised attending a hospital emergency ward for tests immediately. The parents ignored the advice and over the next couple of days went to another doctor, and then another, perhaps searching for something instantaneous. The child almost died from something that could have easily been cured once tests and a diagnosis had been done.

Bone Doctor is not really being blamed, just being mentioned. BD feels no guilt and nor should she. She acted correctly. Sometimes we feel we know better than our doctors, and perhaps at times we do, but there are nothing like tests to help reach a diagnosis.

15 comments:

  1. I always think that if my GP rings the alarm about something he sees in my condition then I should follow up on his recommendation. On the other hand you read horror stories about undiagnosed conditions missed by doctor/s that are only recognised too late when a third or later opinion has been sought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I guess you have to trust your knowledge of your own body too. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

      Delete
  2. I am very rarely ill, but when I am, I follow my doctor's advice to the letter. I even stay home from work so as not to infect or inconvenience others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that is very considerate of you. I too stay away from work if I feel I may be getting a cold. Any doubt, and don't go to work, is my motto.

      Delete
  3. I've mixed feelings. There have been court cases where a doctor has been sued because of inadequate testing or treatment, or because of the wrong diagnosis. These cases are nasty because they destroy the lives and careers of doctors who were doing their professional best.

    On the other hand I know at least two doctors who were allowed by their professional bodies to keep practising, years after it was safe to do so. One was sexually abusing his young patients and one was a drug addict himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, in a way doctors are condemned either way. Over servicing by ordering too many tests or not ordering a test that might have picked something up. I consider the medical professional organisations very bad.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I am a bit slack about various tests but if my doctor insisted, I would get it done without delay, and I would not consider her blaming her if it was my fault.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I guess you know when it is something important or not and of course one must take some responsibility if you don't follow advice.

      Delete
  5. I have no doubt that Bone Doctor does a stellar job. I have been let down by the medical profession, however I'm still alive to tell the tale, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, in my opinion, she is technically excellent. Not that she treats Mother of course, but Mother does ask her things and Mother considers her bad side manner and empathy lacking. For mine, I put it down to different personalities. They have never really become good friends.

      Delete
    2. I think your Mother may be a little difficult, so she probably does a really good job with her. Differing personalities is always interesting!

      Delete
    3. Mother? Difficult? Understatement. Doctor's nightmare but very profitable to them.

      Delete
    4. Well, I was being nice. She's not my Mother so I can't pass judgement :P

      Delete
  6. I guess its like everything Andrew, you can't generalise, there's good and not so good! It must be such a horrendously stressful job, I know even if I didn't pass out at the sight of blood :) I could never handle the pressure. I hope that Bone Doctor is not stressing too much over something that's out of her control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, she is not the type to stress over such things. She can be quite clinical at times really. Sister was more stressed about the matter the BD.

      Delete