Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Congrats to the architect and RMIT

The Australian Institute of Architects’ has handed down its top prize for 2013 to the RMIT Design Hub building. Here 'tis.  Funnily, I haven't seen people stop to admire such a stunning piece of architecture. What do you reckon?



You can't see the merits? Do you, the great unwashed,  not have an artistic bone in your body? Maybe this closer photo will convince you.


I wonder if there is really something wrong with me, as I just don't get it and I don't think many others do either. I see people standing and admiring and photographing this, Flinders Street Station.



and this, Melbourne Town Hall.



And if you want something modern, even this, Federation Square, is interesting at least and people take photos.




and so they do of Melbourne's Recital Hall.


Maybe my skill as a photographer captured it better in this post. No? I thought my chopping the very top off it improved it slightly. Maybe the fault may just be with the box building. RMIT Design Hub is on a premium site, with a view all the way down Swanston Street and St Kilda Road to the Shrine and if you look up Swanton Street, that is what you see. What a bloody waste and that it gets an award just rubs salt into the wound. Let me think. Politicians, used car salesmen, journalists and architects.

11 comments:

  1. Agreed Andrew. It deserves an award for lack of imagination and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the eye of the beholder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the joy of modern architecture is its efficient use of space, natural light and energy. Not its external attractiveness. Nor its ability to blend in with the surrounding city buildings *groan*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1/2 a vote from Hels? I am not even sure that it does very well in the energy department, in spite of what was promised. It was built pretty well on a blank canvas but I think new buildings have to pay respect to the streetscape.

      Delete
  4. I'v often wondered what it might be like to work inside. Would it feel oppressive with all the frosted glass? In general, I am a fan of modern architecture – but prefer the other new rmit building across the road that combines the old with the new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered that too. Surely you can't get a decent view from any of the windows?

      Delete
    2. Ad Rad, what views it would have down Swanston Street if it was glass, not that it might look any better outside. The one on the southwest corner of Franklin Street? I love that one.

      Jayne, I shouldn't think so. I can see it having a massive reno in ten years time.

      Delete
  5. That Lego block got an award??
    Pfft!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted River, it is truly like a Lego block with the bits to fit into the holes.

      Delete