Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Domain

What is colloquially known as The Domain is actually the Kings Domain, which is parkland along St Kilda Road in Melbourne.

There is Domain Road, where the number 8 trams travels and Domain Interchange, a significant tram transfer point. The Interchange was quite horrible and was replaced over Easter and is now much more attractive, and just as importantly, much more functional.  Here are few photos taken when it had just been completed, not so much of the Interchange, but its context.

The curved building is The Domain, formerly an office building, BP House. It is expensive residential accommodation and it is no surprise that the residents were successful in stopping a tall building being built that would restrict their views, especially as there are politicians and some real high flyers who live there.


I can't believe how the new interchange has freed up the jam of trams that used to occur frequently.




While it is no longer used, especially as it is in a garden bed, this out of focus shows a Bundy clock, used to record the time of passing trams. The tram driver would jump off his or her tram and insert a a brass 'key' into the clock and turn it.


This building is way too tall and out of scale with the street, but new buildings around it are catching up in height.


Another very tall building under construction.


I have photographed and posted about this sculpture before, but I can't find the post now.  It depicts a soldier carrying his wounded mate.

6 comments:

  1. It's good to know that a project reaching fruition actually works. I like the look of that sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, as I can't find the post, I think I will return and take some proper photos. It is a very nice work.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I like the notion that cities often seem to measure their worth in how many and how high their new buildings are. Before you know it they will all look like Miami or the Gold Coast. I like the old tram clock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, even though I live in one, I am not very keen on highrise buildings being built. The are quite character destroying. St Kilda Road, where the photos are taken was once lined with grand Victorian mansions and only a couple survive. It is an area lost to highrise now, as is mostly the city area.

      Delete
  3. The curved Domain Building turned out beautifully. I went to a house warming dinner party after the architects finished, and was delighted with the location, the views and the interiors. Even the transport would be perfect for me as I work 3 minutes walk from the StKilda Rd - Swanston St tram.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hels, you do move in exalted circles. But surely if you get the tram to work from home now, you are still only a 3 minute walk to work! It is a good spot though.

    ReplyDelete