Friday, May 10, 2013

Not quite right

We walked to South Melbourne and then caught the tram into the city this balmy Friday. Although it was 23 degrees, the tram heating was on and we cooked. But I no complain.

We went to a shop that sells toothbrushes and whirling blade personal grooming machines, for toothbrush heads for R's electric toothbrush. Out of stock. But I no complain.

We walked along Lonsdale Street. The sheer number of people! The noise level was horrendous with buses roaring past, construction site noise and concrete mixer trucks left, right and centre.  But I no complain.

Coffee? All the tables taken. But I no complain.

We will eat elsewhere and come back. R had a small curry and I a small chicken, pesto and avocado salad. Too much salt in both and I am now thirsty and drinking iced water by the glass. But I no complain.

Instant coffee on special at Woolworths. We will grab that. R said he was positive he saw it in South Melbourne for $16, but no, in QV $17. But I no complain.

Finally a free table for coffee. R likes his coffee hot and I do not. I asked for his coffee to be hot and mine came boiling hot too. But I no complain.

Enough of town and busyness. Home on the tram. The driver had a lot to say, over the pa system, loudly.  We don't really need to know the opening times of city department stores, the details of the Mothers Day fun run, or where trams had been diverted because of problem now that they were back to running normally, and every stop number and street. Every time she spoke, we had to pause our conversation as we couldn't hear over her. But I no complain.

Nice to be home, with the place filled with afternoon light, although the light makes the carpet look shabby, which it is. This time I did complain, and a nice young man came around last night and measured up for new carpet. We are still in a state of 'price shock'. As R says, my head for prices is very firmly set in the 1980s.

This is where the carpet is the worst. Nearly eleven years of the computer desk chair wheels rolling around has taken its toll. Please don't say mats, of matching carpet or otherwise. We don't like them. This will be the seventh carpet we will have had laid during our lives, the only difference being this time, we are paying someone to move the furniture around and to rip up and remove the old carpet.





24 comments:

  1. No complain here either ! At least you could wait until the coffee cooled down would have been difficult the other way around !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Gattina, but then he was finished and ready to go while I was still waiting to drink mine.

      Delete
  2. Just leave a patch of bare floor where the desk chair rolls, then you won't have to worry about wearing out the carpet. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er River, bare concrete. Not sure about that.

      Delete
    2. Okay, no bare concrete, that's ugly. but how about this? Cut out the worn patch, a nice big square and replace it with the same type of carpet in a contrasting colour that matches something else in the room. Instant fashion statement! why yes, I did once pass an Interior Design course.

      Delete
    3. I think you've hit on a brilliant idea here River :)

      Delete
  3. Funny about that ... my carpet has worn in exactly the same spot .... under my computer where the swivel chair tracks between desk- printers and filing cabinet. Maybe one-day like you I will say enough! but for now I no complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pity Dianne that we have to replace all the carpet when it is quite ok in the bedrooms. If your carpet has worn the same, you may as well go down to the threads.

      Delete
  4. My goodness you are an easy-going chap. Perhaps it's the lovely weather we are enjoying? No, the credit is probably all yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, course I am. Never whinge, never complain, is my motto.

      Delete
  5. We have enjoyed balmy weather in Sydney too with the average of the maximum temperatures for the first ten days of May being 3º above normal.

    It has been very pleasant for Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, being Melbourne, it is not going to last, cold and wet from Monday.

      Delete
    2. Been very nice here too, 20, 21 unheard of for us in May. Then the last few days turned really cold. But it is going back up to 20, 21. For mid-May, I can't remember it so warm here in Palmy!

      Delete
    3. KN, when we were in NZ, the weather was mostly lovely in May. Even the north of the South Island was good.

      Delete
  6. We once had carpet and 3 dogs (they did live outside most of the time) but now we have bare floorboards and rugs the rugs can be washed and so can the floor, carpet was just too hard to keep clean.
    I know sometimes it is hard not to hit people they can be such pains.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, boards are much more practical. Ours stated to get a lot of marks when my niece was born and we looked after her. At five and half now, she is a bit more careful.

      Pet hair on carpet used to drive us crazy. I don't miss that at all.

      Delete
  7. I got new carpet in January and I love it! Love the colour, and love walking barefoot on it. It was cheaper than I imagined so I should have done it earlier! I paid someone to take up the old stuff- but moving all the furniture etc was quite a trial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well you are fit to move furniture KN. Cheaper was it? Maybe because it is local. The wool for our carpet is imported, from NZ, which apparently grows the best sheep for wool carpets.

      Delete
  8. Thank god you don't complain or I'd be thinking the world's turned to shite!! Just between you & I, I'd KILL for new carpet! And if it were to be laid by someone else, I'd think I was in paradise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red,it is a little depressing to know that this carpet might 'see us out'. We just can't do the hard yards of physical stuff anymore. We have to pay.

      Delete
  9. We have days like that I think Andrew when we feel very benevolent towards the world, and then there are the other kind, like mine today grrrrrrrrr! I complain LOTS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, will we hear about your bad day tomorrow?

      Delete
  10. P.s. floorboards are the only way to go..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did consider boards and the occasional picking up of fluff balls, but no, we like carpet.

      Delete