Thursday, May 30, 2013

My horn going off

I had my car in for a service a couple of months ago. I do it annually. It is wasteful to do it more often. There is always a call from the garage when the car is being serviced. Ok, yes change the timing belt. That is important. I can see my tyres and I will be the judge of my tyres, thank you very much. They don't need replacing yet. Happened on our watch but sorry, your passenger window winding mechanism has failed. What do you want us to do? We could just prop it up and it won't work anymore. Perfect, go ahead.

But when I got up to speed, the window whistled. Most annoying. I tried to push it up and jammed a wad a paper in but that failed. I could have lived with that but then there was the horn. Horns can be so troublesome.

I horned some stupid motorist in the lane that gives access to the Highrise carpark. Then the horn sounded twice on its own. Odd. I parked in the carpark at work and when I was a good distance from the car, I could hear a continual horn blasting. I returned to see who the culprit was and it was me. My horn was stuck (I could slip in more double entendre, but enough already). I went back to the car and pressed the horn button a couple of times and it stopped.

I took a look at the underdash fuse box and I could not see a fuse marked horn.

The next morning I googled Hyundai Lantra horn fuse and apparently it is under the bonnet. Btw, how is Michelle's car of the same vintage going?

That same day  when I was out of the office, I received a call. Your alarm is stuck on and driving people crazy. By the time I got there it had stopped. It was the heat from the sun that caused it to go off, but clearly the horn spring is weak or broken. I looked under the bonnet and sure enough, there was a box with more fuses and with the help of what I had seen in the car manual, a fuse puller, I removed the horn fuse.

Father's cars often did not have a working horn, or speedo, or fuel gauge, or indicators etc etc. But I find a horn a necessary thing. That with the whistling window has made me call the garage.

All very well, but a few years ago some white powder fell out of the steering wheel. Might that be something to do the sole airbag near where the horn button is located? I am expecting a big bill because there will be a call when they start mucking around with my horn, do you know the airbag in your steering wheel is not serviceable?

I really should get a new car, but new carpet and an overseas holiday is far more important.

Later edit: Two hours labour, $200. Window and horn are fixed and nothing wrong with the airbag.





17 comments:

  1. A new used car might be the way to go. Otherwise the repair money disappears down an ever deepening pit. That would drive me nuts (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an argument Hels, but I am still miles in front, at this stage. I think I would only ever buy a used car. I don't like massive depreciation.

      Delete
  2. How to keep a car running to your satisfaction when little things that can’t be fixed keep going wrong.

    Interestingly, the T-Model Ford that was on display at ScienceWorks reflected just that: baling wire holding the engine together; a blanket sewn together to replace dilapidated upholstery – just like people used to do with these cars.

    My tip would be to look around for a 2003 Falcon with as low km as possible – this was advice given to me by my mate the ex-RACV Vehicle Inspector. There’s a reason so many taxis are BA Falcons – they’re robust and reliable. Try a search on Car Sales and filter it for low km.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lad, I can't recall seeing the T-Model. My grandfather was a great one for fixing things with wire and baling rope.

      I appreciate the BA is a good reliable car, but just too big for me to drive to and from work on my own and sit there the rest of the time. We use R's car otherwise. And, if he stops work next year, we won't need two cars, which is one reason for me to not do anything now.

      Delete
  3. Additional: My tip is, of course, for when you decide to get another car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad you've got your priorities right ... holidays first, everything else next!! Odd that the horn thing (yes, enough already) started right after your visit to the garage?? Is there a connection? Maybe you could point this out to the garage just before you get your big bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, no, not really. The centre of the steering wheel has felt odd for a while, and strange feeling to press the horn.

      Delete
  5. New carpet and an overseas holiday are nice, but a properly functioning car is a necessary safety issue. Are you sure your car is properly roadworthy?
    I suppose you could always replace it after your holiday and carpet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is River, and from the outside and in looks as good as new. But clearly it is getting old and worn. Aren't we all.

      Delete
  6. I've always dreaded a horn going off like that! We run an older (2005) Lexus with low miles as our everyday car. So far it's been a breeze to keep maintained. Luckily we have a super and honest young mechanic in our village in whom we trust completely.
    I'm with on depreciation. I had one new car in my life and wouldn't do it again. I try to buy low miles vehicles which have already lost a good chunk of their value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect car for me Craig. Luxury and second hand, without the price. That is kind of what I would be looking for, a couple of years old, high end and low km.

      Delete
  7. My car is overdue for a service, I'll get around to it some year! I do hate it when your horn is inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, inappropriate horn is such a male problem. I doubt any woman has ever experienced such a thing when out and about.

      Delete
  8. You find the horn necessary and I can't recall using mine in years. I won't speculate what that might mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I can be a bit too aggressive with my horn. I try not to use it too much.

      Delete
  9. $200 for a working horn seems like a good deal to me Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I think it is about the going rate.

      Delete